What actually happens in parkinsonism?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Harrish
  • Start date
In summary, the researcher is doing an experiment on Parkinson disease and wants to know what people think and what questions they have.
Harrish
Although the many break-throughs in so many neurological diseases, Parkinson disease still remains a mystery that affects quite a lot of people directly or indirectly. I have been doing an experiment on Parkinson disease now 4 months and the results are still to be seen when I shall assess the membrane potential of mitochondria present in the midbrain. The results will tell me if a decrease in membrane potential in turn leading to cell apoptosis which causes this degenerative process is or not the pathological change behind this disease. I am using the JC-1 method to assess membrane potential. Well, I would like to have your views and comments on Parkinson disease and what should I do to improve such an experiment, and any questions you would like to ask about the experiment or if any questions you like me to answer.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Are you doing this research as part of a graduate degree? Do you plan to publish it? If so, you may want to hold off on bringing too much of your work out into the public arena. In order for us to fully understand and discuss your work we will have to know (amoung other things): 1 - what type of tissue are you using - cell line, primary cells, tissue slices... 2- what model of parkinsons are you using - 6-OHDA, MPTP... 3 - method of analysis - flow cytometry, confocal microscopy? What background research have you done? There seems to be several published papers using JC-1 to examine delta-psi in parkinson's models. What are you doing differently than they did?

Having said this, if you just want to get into a discussion about PD and say...what models are good or what's wrong or right with current therapies, etc that would be great and I encourage you to do so. We can also touch on some of the above issues/methodologies, but I would hesitate to be too forthcoming with actual on-going experimental data.

Parkinsonism is a neurological disorder that is characterized by a progressive degeneration of the brain cells responsible for producing dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps control movement. This results in a variety of symptoms, including tremors, rigidity, and difficulty with balance and coordination. While there have been many advancements in understanding and treating neurological diseases, Parkinson's disease still poses a challenge due to its complex nature.

Your experiment on Parkinson's disease is a valuable contribution to the field and may potentially shed light on the underlying mechanisms of the disease. By assessing the membrane potential of mitochondria in the midbrain, you are exploring the role of cellular dysfunction in the degenerative process of Parkinson's disease. The use of the JC-1 method to measure membrane potential is a reliable and commonly used technique, so your results will likely provide valuable insights.

To improve your experiment, you may consider including a control group to compare your results with. This will help to eliminate any confounding factors and validate your findings. Additionally, it may be beneficial to collaborate with other researchers or experts in the field to gain different perspectives and potentially refine your methods.

As for questions, I am curious about the specific techniques and equipment you are using for your experiment. Also, have you considered any potential limitations or challenges that may affect the accuracy of your results? And finally, what implications do you hope your findings will have for the understanding and treatment of Parkinson's disease?

Overall, your experiment is a commendable effort to contribute to the understanding of Parkinson's disease. I wish you all the best in your research and look forward to reading about your results.

1. What causes parkinsonism?

Parkinsonism is caused by a loss of dopamine-producing cells in the brain, particularly in a region called the substantia nigra. This loss of cells leads to a decrease in dopamine levels, which is responsible for the characteristic motor symptoms of parkinsonism.

2. Is parkinsonism hereditary?

While there is a small genetic component to parkinsonism, it is not solely hereditary. Only about 10-15% of cases are thought to be caused by genetic factors, while the majority of cases are caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

3. What are the main symptoms of parkinsonism?

The main symptoms of parkinsonism include tremors, rigidity, bradykinesia (slowed movements), and postural instability. These motor symptoms are caused by the loss of dopamine in the brain and can also be accompanied by non-motor symptoms such as cognitive impairment, depression, and sleep disturbances.

4. How is parkinsonism diagnosed?

Parkinsonism is typically diagnosed through a combination of clinical evaluation and medical imaging tests. A doctor will assess a person's symptoms and may conduct a physical exam to look for the characteristic motor symptoms. Imaging tests, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or positron emission tomography (PET) scans, can also help to confirm a diagnosis.

5. Is there a cure for parkinsonism?

Currently, there is no cure for parkinsonism. However, there are treatments available that can help to manage the symptoms and improve quality of life. These treatments may include medication, physical therapy, and lifestyle changes. Researchers are also actively studying potential cures and new treatments for parkinsonism.