Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What age for magic powers?

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    Harry Potter was 11.
    Sabrina was 16.
    Jesus was 12?

What do you think seems like the right age to learn that you have magical powers? Does it happen on your birthday? Does someone come down from somewhere and whisper it in your ear? Do you just suddenly start accidently blowing things up?

My 20th is coming up, and I'm trying to decide what to expect. Personally, I always figured 10-13 were the golden years for magic development, but I don't want to rule anything out.

What do YOU think?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When I was about 10 years old, I was asking the same question. I was pretty sure that I would develop Superboy powers at some point, but was a bit frustrated that it wasn't happening yet.

Then I got a little older and wiser, and started studying science and math, and started rejecting pseudo-science. I started relying on experiment over intuition. And then I went to college, and really started learing how the physical world works.

Sorry, Gale. Not gonna happen at any age. There's still a lot of great, magical stuff in life, though. Just no super powers coming anytime soon.

4. Sep 30, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was born with mine; I thought that was the norm!

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

really? I had to sacrifice a chicken on a circle drawn in goat's blood.

also... there's no such thing as irrational numbers, it's lies. And spiders are your gods.

6. Sep 30, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

You plonker, there is no such thing as magic, but you can refer to the forums above, some seem to think magic is possible.

7. Sep 30, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, some people have an event during their college years that reminds them of the magical powers they had as a kid, but had long since forgotten... maybe you can hope for that one! Maybe a birthday present could trigger the right memories.

8. Sep 30, 2007 #7
    23, give or take.

9. Sep 30, 2007 #8
    For the record, some of you are taking this a smidge too seriously...
    Or maybe I come off as loony...

That sounds fairly promising. Maybe I need to ask for "magic inducing gifts" this year. I wonder what I would get...

I think this is the year. 23 is too.... OLD!

10. Sep 30, 2007 #9

Evo

Gale and the Child of Evo were born on the same day, same year. They told me I was having twins, seriously, I wore two fetal monitors and they monitored both babies during the entire delivery, when the Child of Evo was born the doctor waited for the second one to crown, then stuck his hands in feeling around and asked where the other baby was.

I am not kidding, this really happened. :surprised

Then they tried to explain to me that sometimes things like this happen and although they pick up signs of two babies, it's really only one. :bugeye:

11. Sep 30, 2007 #10
    at least 17. I don't think an 11 year old is responsible enough yet to cope with having magic powers. look at all the trouble harry potter got into during those first couple of years.

true, some kids mature faster than others, but if we don't set a standard age that's the same for everyone, who's going to decide who's the exception?

also, acquiring magic skills at too young an age might hinder the child's development on the long run. it's better to make sure the child has learned to cope with every-day situations without the use of magic, or he could have a hard time adjusting to society as he becomes an adult.

12. Sep 30, 2007 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure you didn't promise your first-born child to Rumplestiltskin?

13. Sep 30, 2007 #12

Evo

I may have, you tend to forget about about those kinds of things.

14. Sep 30, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that's how it happened for Tabitha on Bewitched, and that baby on Charmed too. I'm pretty sure you have your magic powers at birth. Though, I think it's more about what age you learn everyone else DOESN'T have powers just like you do, and when you're expected to start controlling how you use them. Unfortunately, if you don't use it and hone those magical powers while younger, you start to lose them. It helps if your parents have magical powers too and can help you with your magic homework from a young age, otherwise, it's really hard to get the grasp of it. I think that's what happened with Harry Potter and Sabrina...all that time spent around non-magical relatives really messed them up and delayed their development. They're lucky they didn't lose their powers completely. :approve:

15. Sep 30, 2007 #14
    Hmm,
    See moonbear, I WAS born with my powers. How many babies do you know that can pretend to be a twin, then dissapear? My parents were never good at magic homework though... maybe that's why my powers don't seem very prevalent.

Hmm...How do you ressurect latent magical powers?

16. Sep 30, 2007 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you just need some practice, dear!

Start small: maybe a love spell to bring Evo her beloved...:wink:

17. Sep 30, 2007 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That reminds me, I have a witchy Halloween movie recommendation for you guys:
    "Bell, Book and Candle" with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. I loooooove that movie!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  18. Sep 30, 2007 #17

Evo

Yep, that's a good one.

19. Sep 30, 2007 #18

It has been done.

20. Sep 30, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh! You're FAST! Romance is on the way, Evo! :!!)

21. Sep 30, 2007 #20
    :) Let me know in 3 months Evo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?