What Age is Best for Discovering Magical Powers?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Magic
In summary: Forgetful. also... there's no such thing as irrational numbers, it's lies. And spiders are your gods.
Gale
Harry Potter was 11.
Sabrina was 16.
Jesus was 12?

What do you think seems like the right age to learn that you have magical powers? Does it happen on your birthday? Does someone come down from somewhere and whisper it in your ear? Do you just suddenly start accidently blowing things up?

My 20th is coming up, and I'm trying to decide what to expect. Personally, I always figured 10-13 were the golden years for magic development, but I don't want to rule anything out.

What do YOU think?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was about 10 years old, I was asking the same question. I was pretty sure that I would develop Superboy powers at some point, but was a bit frustrated that it wasn't happening yet.

Then I got a little older and wiser, and started studying science and math, and started rejecting pseudo-science. I started relying on experiment over intuition. And then I went to college, and really started learing how the physical world works.

Sorry, Gale. Not going to happen at any age. There's still a lot of great, magical stuff in life, though. Just no super powers coming anytime soon.

I was born with mine; I thought that was the norm!

Hurkyl said:

really? I had to sacrifice a chicken on a circle drawn in goat's blood.

also... there's no such thing as irrational numbers, it's lies. And spiders are your gods.

Gale said:
Harry Potter was 11.
Sabrina was 16.
Jesus was 12?

What do you think seems like the right age to learn that you have magical powers? Does it happen on your birthday? Does someone come down from somewhere and whisper it in your ear? Do you just suddenly start accidently blowing things up?

My 20th is coming up, and I'm trying to decide what to expect. Personally, I always figured 10-13 were the golden years for magic development, but I don't want to rule anything out.

What do YOU think?

You plonker, there is no such thing as magic, but you can refer to the forums above, some seem to think magic is possible.

Oh, some people have an event during their college years that reminds them of the magical powers they had as a kid, but had long since forgotten... maybe you can hope for that one! Maybe a birthday present could trigger the right memories.

23, give or take.

For the record, some of you are taking this a smidge too seriously...
Or maybe I come off as loony...

Hurkyl said:
Maybe a birthday present could trigger the right memories.

That sounds fairly promising. Maybe I need to ask for "magic inducing gifts" this year. I wonder what I would get...

I think this is the year. 23 is too... OLD!

Gale and the Child of Evo were born on the same day, same year. They told me I was having twins, seriously, I wore two fetal monitors and they monitored both babies during the entire delivery, when the Child of Evo was born the doctor waited for the second one to crown, then stuck his hands in feeling around and asked where the other baby was.

I am not kidding, this really happened.

Then they tried to explain to me that sometimes things like this happen and although they pick up signs of two babies, it's really only one. :bugeye:

at least 17. I don't think an 11 year old is responsible enough yet to cope with having magic powers. look at all the trouble harry potter got into during those first couple of years.

true, some kids mature faster than others, but if we don't set a standard age that's the same for everyone, who's going to decide who's the exception?

also, acquiring magic skills at too young an age might hinder the child's development on the long run. it's better to make sure the child has learned to cope with every-day situations without the use of magic, or he could have a hard time adjusting to society as he becomes an adult.

Evo said:
Gale and the Child of Evo were born on the same day, same year. They told me I was having twins, seriously, I wore two fetal monitors and they monitored both babies during the entire delivery, when the Child of Evo was born the doctor waited for the second one to crown, then stuck his hands in feeling around and asked where the other baby was.

Then they tried to explain to me that sometimes things like this happen and although they pick up signs of two babies, it's really only one. :bugeye:
Are you sure you didn't promise your first-born child to Rumplestiltskin?

Hurkyl said:
Are you sure you didn't promise your first-born child to Rumplestiltskin?
I may have, you tend to forget about about those kinds of things.

Hurkyl said:

Yep, that's how it happened for Tabitha on Bewitched, and that baby on Charmed too. I'm pretty sure you have your magic powers at birth. Though, I think it's more about what age you learn everyone else DOESN'T have powers just like you do, and when you're expected to start controlling how you use them. Unfortunately, if you don't use it and hone those magical powers while younger, you start to lose them. It helps if your parents have magical powers too and can help you with your magic homework from a young age, otherwise, it's really hard to get the grasp of it. I think that's what happened with Harry Potter and Sabrina...all that time spent around non-magical relatives really messed them up and delayed their development. They're lucky they didn't lose their powers completely. :approve:

Evo said:

Hmm,
See moonbear, I WAS born with my powers. How many babies do you know that can pretend to be a twin, then dissapear? My parents were never good at magic homework though... maybe that's why my powers don't seem very prevalent.

Hmm...How do you ressurect latent magical powers?

you just need some practice, dear!

Start small: maybe a love spell to bring Evo her beloved...:wink:

That reminds me, I have a witchy Halloween movie recommendation for you guys:
"Bell, Book and Candle" with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. I loooooove that movie!

pywacket_bell_book_and_candle.jpg

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
That reminds me, I have a witchy Halloween movie recommendation for you guys:
"Bell, Book and Candle" with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. I loooooove that movie!

pywacket_bell_book_and_candle.jpg
Yep, that's a good one.

Math Is Hard said:
Start small: maybe a love spell to bring Evo her beloved...:wink:

It has been done.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
It has been done.

Ooh! You're FAST! Romance is on the way, Evo! :!)

Math Is Hard said:
Ooh! You're FAST! Romance is on the way, Evo! :!)

:) Let me know in 3 months Evo.

:) Let me know in 3 months Evo.

Wait a tic! Who died and made you the magic love fairy?? I'm supposed to be the one practicing my magical abilities. No magicking on PF unless you show me how!

Show you how!? You cannot simply be shown how to cast magic love fairy spells! You must simply know!

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/2204/22039886pd1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
uh, I do know , I was erm... just interested in learning your technique. 20 years without practice makes a girl rusty you know.

Well for starters, do you own a pair of green tights and a cap with a feather?

Ah, so you're the Robin Hood-type magic love fairy? You steal rich peoples' hearts and give them to poor people?

Hurkyl said:
Ah, so you're the Robin Hood-type magic love fairy? You steal rich peoples' hearts and give them to poor people?

:rofl: Well yes and no. I cannot explain myself, secret honor code.

No need to explain' as a prominent theoretician in the wizarding world, I am fully aware of your situation. It's just that I imagined Gale to be more of the sugar-plum variety of magical love fairy than the Robin-Hood variety.

Well fairies come in all kinds of shapes sizes and with differing states of mental illness but the underlying principles are all the same. I hope you will agree.

Well, sure, that's what we hope for. But nobody has yet discovered any leads on how to formulate a grand unifying inspired love theory.

Well for starters, do you own a pair of green tights and a cap with a feather?

Well sure. Usually I leave that leave that sort of outfit in the bedroom, and my sugar plum outfit is only for special occaisions. I'm having trouble seeing where all this is leading, but I suppose bedroom costumes and a grand unifying inspired love theory are somewhat correlated... hmm...

And just to clarify, this all is helping me prepare for the sudden onslaught of magicalness on my bday right?

Evo said:
Yep, that's a good one.

I forgot about one of your relatives being in that movie. :redface:

Math Is Hard said:
I forgot about one of your relatives being in that movie. :redface:
Yes, she was, but related through marriage. Not too many people can claim to be related to the hunchback of Notre Dame, Captain Bligh and the Bride of Frankenstein. :rofl:

1. What age is considered the best for discovering magical powers?

The age at which someone discovers their magical powers can vary greatly. Some may begin to show signs of magical abilities as young as 5 or 6 years old, while others may not discover their powers until their teenage years. Ultimately, there is no set age that is considered the best for discovering magical powers.

2. Is there a specific age range where magical powers are more likely to manifest?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some believe that magical powers are more likely to manifest during childhood or adolescence when the imagination is more active and open to possibilities. However, others argue that magical powers can manifest at any age, as long as the individual is open to them.

3. Can someone still discover magical powers as an adult?

Yes, it is possible for someone to discover their magical powers as an adult. While it may be less common, there are many stories of individuals who did not discover their powers until later in life. It is never too late to tap into one's magical abilities.

4. Are there any signs or indicators that someone may have magical powers?

Some people believe that certain personality traits or behaviors may indicate the presence of magical powers. These can include a strong intuition, a deep connection to nature, a fascination with the supernatural, and a strong sense of empathy. However, these are not definitive signs and someone may still have magical powers without displaying these traits.

5. Can someone lose their magical powers as they age?

There is no evidence to suggest that someone can lose their magical powers as they age. In fact, many believe that magical abilities can become stronger and more refined with age and practice. It is important for individuals to continue to nurture and develop their powers, regardless of their age.