1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What am I describing?

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    This may be a little hand-wavy:

Let [tex]a[/tex] be an ordered, proper-class-sized sequence [tex]a=(a_0,a_1,...,a_{\omega},...,a_{\omega_2},...,a_{\omega_{\omega}},...)[/tex] where [tex]a_i, i\in\mathbb{O}rd[/tex] are, say, 0,...,9. So that if we look only at those [tex]a[/tex] whose expansion on [tex]a_{\omega}[/tex] onwards are 0, we'd get something like the real numbers.

We order these things lexicographically (or antilexicographically, whichever it is that the reals are ordered by, I can never remember). So let X be the class of these things. What is X?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    I just realized that X can't technically be a proper class since X contains proper classes. Formally we'll have to invoke some sort of type theory argument and call X a "second order class" or something. But that's just a technicality.

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    I think what I mean is that "there is no class X such that every linearly ordered set is isomorphic to a subset of X".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?