Find the Zero Potential Point on the X-Axis for a System with Two Point Charges

• Thread starter ziplock2k
  • Start date
In summary: The electric potential of a point charge is defined as the potential energy of the charge divided by the distance between the charge and the point where the potential is measured. The variables in this equation represent the magnitude of the electric potential, and the distance represents the physical distance between the point charge and the point where the potential is measured.
ziplock2k

Homework Statement

A point charge of +2.7 mC is located at the origin of a coordinate system and a second point charge of -7.8 mC is at x = 1.5 m. At what point on the x-axis is the electrical potential zero? Calculate to 2 decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

net pot. diff will be zero at
x=1/3.
and at x = -1.

pot. diff is a scalar qty. so u can directly add it.

if the net potential diff at a pt (say at x,0) is zero,
we have
(k*3/x) - (k*6/(1-x)) = 0
2x=1-x
x=1/3

Similarly for negative x, u can make n eqn:
-(k*3/x) - (-k*6/(1+x)) = 0
which shal give u: x=-1

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ziplock2k,

ziplock2k said:

Homework Statement

A point charge of +2.7 mC is located at the origin of a coordinate system and a second point charge of -7.8 mC is at x = 1.5 m. At what point on the x-axis is the electrical potential zero? Calculate to 2 decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

net pot. diff will be zero at
x=1/3.
and at x = -1.

pot. diff is a scalar qty. so u can directly add it.

if the net potential diff at a pt (say at x,0) is zero,
we have
(k*3/x) - (k*6/(1-x)) = 0

I don't understand what you are doing here. In particular, what are the 3 and the 6 in the numerators? And why is the denominator of the second term 1-x?

I'm sort of lost, as you can tell, and I need help.

ziplock2k said:
I'm sort of lost, as you can tell, and I need help.

You may have done a problem similar to this before when you studied electric fields. This one is done much the same way.

The first step is, what is the formula for the electric potential of a point charge? (What confused me about your post was that you seemed to have the right form, but I did not understand where the numbers came from.)

So what is that formula, and what do they variable represent?

What am I doing wrong or right?

1. How can I tell if I am doing something wrong or right in my experiments?

Answer: The best way to determine if you are doing something wrong or right in your experiments is to carefully follow your experimental procedure and record your observations accurately. If your results consistently align with your hypothesis and there are no flaws in your experimental design, then you are likely on the right track.

2. Is there a specific set of rules to follow in order to conduct experiments correctly?

Answer: Yes, there are standard procedures and guidelines for conducting experiments, such as the scientific method. It is important to carefully plan and design your experiments, use appropriate controls, and accurately record your data. Following these principles can help ensure that you are conducting your experiments correctly.

3. How do I know if my results are accurate?

Answer: The accuracy of your results can be determined by comparing them to known standards or running replicates of your experiments. It is also important to take into account any potential sources of error and use appropriate statistical analyses to validate your findings.

4. What should I do if my results do not align with my hypothesis?

Answer: It is common for results to not always align with the initial hypothesis. In such cases, it is important to carefully review your experimental design and data to identify any potential errors or inconsistencies. You may also consider revising your hypothesis or conducting further experiments to confirm or refute your findings.

5. How can I improve my experimental techniques?

Answer: One way to improve your experimental techniques is to seek feedback and guidance from experienced scientists in your field. You can also review published literature and attend conferences or workshops to learn about new techniques and approaches. Practicing and refining your techniques through repetition and careful observation can also help improve your skills.