Simplifying Equation: Where Am I Going Wrong? | Get Help with Math"

• Thread starter ojsimon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an equation using different methods. The person is having trouble with one method and asks for help to identify the mistake. The expert points out the error and suggests a solution to get the correct form of the equation. The person thanks the expert for their help.
ojsimon
Hi,

I am trying to simplify this equation and it won't work using this method, although i can do it using another method, so this method should work too. Could someone please look at my working and tell me where I am going wrong?

-t^-1=-2A-(1/2)+1
2A^-(1/2)=t^-1 +1
A^(-1/2)=(t^-1 +1)/2
A^(1/2)=2/(t^-1 +1)
A=(2/(t^-1 +1))^(1/2)

Surely this should work, but the answer which is correct and i can get using another method is A=(4t^2)/(1+t)^2

Thanks for your help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ojsimon said:
A^(1/2)=2/(t^-1 +1)
A=(2/(t^-1 +1))^(1/2)

This step is incorrect. The right hand side of the last line should be raised to the power of 2, not 1/2. Once this error is fixed to get the "correct" form, just multiply top and bottom by t^2. (Or in the first line in the quote above, multiply by t on top and bottom, and then square both sides).

Thanks so much, i thought it must be something stupid..

1. What are some common mistakes I might be making in my experiments?

Some common mistakes in experiments include not following the correct procedure, using improper equipment or materials, and not controlling for variables.

2. How can I troubleshoot my experiments?

To troubleshoot your experiments, start by carefully reviewing your procedure and making sure you are following it correctly. Check your equipment and materials to make sure they are in good working condition. If you are still having trouble, consult with a colleague or mentor for advice.

3. What can I do if my results are not matching my hypothesis?

If your results are not matching your hypothesis, it could be due to a number of factors. Double check your data collection and analysis methods to make sure they are accurate. It is also possible that your hypothesis was incorrect or that there are other variables at play that you did not account for.

4. What should I do if my experiment fails?

If your experiment fails, don't get discouraged! Failure is a natural part of the scientific process. Take the time to carefully review your procedure and analyze any potential errors. You may also want to consult with other scientists or do additional research to see if there are any alternative methods you can try.

5. How can I improve my experimental design?

To improve your experimental design, start by clearly defining your research question and hypothesis. Make sure you are controlling for all relevant variables and using appropriate methods and materials. It can also be beneficial to seek feedback from colleagues or to review published studies in your field for ideas and inspiration.