Why are my equations giving different curves?

• Thread starter LucasGB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of computing an equation by hand and the use of Z-transforms to solve difference equations. The participants also share tips and helpful resources for solving the equations.
LucasGB
What am I doing wrong?

When you have an equation such as the one displayed in Equation 1 (see attached figure) and want to compute it by hand, you may rewrite it as Equation 2.

Setting X and Y to the following values:

X = Exp[-(n-1)/beta]
Y = Exp[-T/alpha]

I got Equation 3. Thereafter, I tried to transform it in the same way, and then I got Equation 4. However, Equation 3 and 4 are not the same. For alpha=360, beta=5, A1=10 and T=1, these two equations give very different curves, as you can see at the bottom of the image (Equation 3 represented as the purple curve, and Equation 4 represented as the blue line). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Estevão

P.S.: Please, I really need help in this issue.

Attachments

• Figure 1.JPG
    Figure 1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Here's a hint Lucas. Go back and have a look at how you derived equation 2 from equation 1. Notice that to get it in the form of a geometric series you had to factorize out the X's and Y's across the sum of multiple terms. Think about what that means about X and Y, they must be constants, neither can depend on "n".

uart said:
Here's a hint Lucas. Go back and have a look at how you derived equation 2 from equation 1. Notice that to get it in the form of a geometric series you had to factorize out the X's and Y's across the sum of multiple terms. Think about what that means about X and Y, they must be constants, neither can depend on "n".

You are right! Thank you very much for the answer. However, now I have a new problem: how to simplify Equation 3 so I can compute it by hand?

Have you ever used Z-Transforms LucasGB? There are many ways to solve difference equations but z-transforms are one of the easiest.

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform

I'll leave some of the work to you, but I get an answer that exactly matches your "red curve" and it's in the form of :

[tex]A_n = \frac{A_1}{b-a} ( b^n - a^n ) [/tex]

where "a" and "b" are constants in terms of your alpha, beta, T etc.

uart said:
Have you ever used Z-Transforms LucasGB? There are many ways to solve difference equations but z-transforms are one of the easiest.

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform

I'll leave some of the work to you, but I get an answer that exactly matches your "red curve" and it's in the form of :

[tex]A_n = \frac{A_1}{b-a} ( b^n - a^n ) [/tex]

where "a" and "b" are constants in terms of your alpha, beta, T etc.

It seems great, but I'm having a hard time searching for introdutory texts to Z-Transforms. Could you suggest one to me?

LucasGB, I think there is no need of Z-transform.
Look at the attached picture.
I hope it will help you.
(Sorry, in the picture, when it says "knowing that X(1)=0", it should say "knowing that X(1)=1"

Attachments

• LucasGB's function.jpg
    LucasGB's function.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

Karlx said:
LucasGB, I think there is no need of Z-transform.
Look at the attached picture.
I hope it will help you.
(Sorry, in the picture, when it says "knowing that X(1)=0", it should say "knowing that X(1)=1"

Thank you very much, Karlx. This is a very creative way to solve the equation. You and uart helped me a lot!

1. What are the common mistakes I am making in my experiment?

Some common mistakes that scientists make in experiments include not properly controlling variables, using faulty equipment, and having biased observations or interpretations. It is important to carefully plan and design experiments to minimize these errors.

2. How can I improve my experimental design?

To improve your experimental design, it is important to clearly define your research question and hypothesis, carefully select and control variables, use appropriate and reliable equipment, and have a large enough sample size. It is also helpful to have another scientist review and provide feedback on your design.

3. Why are my results not matching my hypothesis?

There could be several reasons why your results do not match your hypothesis. It is possible that your experimental design was flawed or there were errors during the experiment. It is also possible that your hypothesis was incorrect or the data was misinterpreted. It is important to carefully analyze and interpret your results to understand why they may not align with your hypothesis.

4. How can I avoid bias in my experiments?

Bias can be introduced into experiments in many ways, such as through biased observations, biased selection of data, or biased interpretations. To avoid bias, it is important to carefully plan and design experiments, use objective and reliable methods, and have a diverse sample size. It is also helpful to have multiple scientists review and analyze the data to minimize bias.

5. What can I do if my experiment fails?

If your experiment does not produce the expected results, it is important to carefully analyze and evaluate the data to understand why it failed. You may need to make adjustments to your experimental design or hypothesis for future experiments. It is also helpful to seek advice from other scientists and learn from their experiences to improve your methods.