Why is my answer incorrect for y when x = -1?

• Thread starter Alexandra Fabiello
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to find the value of y when x is -1, given that y' = 6x(x2+2)2 and y = 25 when x = 1. By integrating 6x(x2+2)2 and substituting in the given values, it is found that the value of y is -83 when x = -1. However, it is important to note that a constant of integration must be included in the integration step.
Alexandra Fabiello

Homework Statement

If y' = 6x(x2+2)2 and y = 25 when x = 1, what is the value of y when x = -1?

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

∫6x(x2+2)2dx = 2x(x2+2)3

(12 + 3)3 + 2(1) + c = 25

1 + 2 = 3 and 2(1) = 2 and 33 = 27, so 27*2 + c = 25 so 54 + c = 25, therefore c = 25-54 = -29

Now substitute x = -1

(-1) squared is 1 and 2(-1) = -2, so 27*-2 = -54, so -54 - 29 = y = -83

WileyPlus tells me it's wrong.

What is wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexandra Fabiello said:

Homework Statement

If y' = 6x(x2+2)2 and y = 25 when x = 1, what is the value of y when x = -1?

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

∫6x(x2+2)2dx = 2x(x2+2)3
You need a constant of integration in that result.

Also, you made a mistake in your integration.

What is the derivative of y = 2x(x2+2)3 + C ?

(12 + 3)3 + 2(1) + c = 25

1 + 2 = 3 and 2(1) = 2 and 33 = 27, so 27*2 + c = 25 so 54 + c = 25, therefore c = 25-54 = -29

Now substitute x = -1

(-1) squared is 1 and 2(-1) = -2, so 27*-2 = -54, so -54 - 29 = y = -83

WileyPlus tells me it's wrong.

What is wrong with this?

SammyS said:
You need a constant of integration in that result.

Also, you made a mistake in your integration.

What is the derivative of y = 2x(x2+2)3 + C ?

OH! *smacks self* Never mind...

And I just forgot to type in the + c; you'll see in my calculations that it appears there, sorry.

EDIT: Thanks, BTW, like a LOT!

Thanks a lot, SammyS!

1. Why are my experiments not producing the expected results?

There could be several reasons for this. It's possible that there is a flaw in your experimental design, or that your equipment is not functioning properly. It's also possible that there are external factors affecting your results, such as environmental conditions. It's important to carefully review your methods and troubleshoot any potential issues before drawing conclusions.

2. How can I improve the accuracy and precision of my measurements?

To improve accuracy and precision, it's important to calibrate your equipment regularly and use proper techniques for taking measurements. It may also be helpful to increase the number of trials or samples in your experiments to reduce the impact of outliers. Additionally, carefully recording and analyzing your data can help identify and address any sources of error.

3. Why are my findings not replicable?

In order for scientific findings to be considered valid, they must be replicable by other researchers. If your findings are not replicable, it's possible that there are flaws in your experimental design, or that your methods are not clearly documented. It's important to carefully document your procedures and make sure they can be easily replicated by others in order to ensure the validity of your results.

4. How can I ensure ethical practices in my research?

Ethics are a crucial aspect of scientific research. It's important to adhere to all relevant ethical guidelines, such as obtaining informed consent from participants and ensuring the humane treatment of animals in experiments. It's also important to regularly review and update your research protocols to ensure they align with current ethical standards.

5. How can I effectively communicate my research findings?

Communicating your research findings effectively is crucial for sharing knowledge and advancing scientific understanding. To do this, it's important to use clear and concise language, and to present your data and findings in a way that is easily understandable to a diverse audience. Additionally, it may be helpful to collaborate with other researchers or utilize different mediums, such as presentations or visual aids, to effectively communicate your research.