Solve Homework Problem: Min Speed to Catch Bus

• Thread starter marco0009
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to solve a homework problem involving a bus accelerating from rest with a constant acceleration of .170m/s^2. The student is trying to figure out the minimum speed she must run to catch the bus and is having trouble getting rid of the unknown time variable in their equations. They receive suggestions to use the quadratic formula and take the derivative to find the minimum speed. Eventually, the student thanks someone for their help in solving the problem.
marco0009
I'm on the last part of a homework problem and I'm not doing something right...

A student is running to catch a bus. When the student is 40m away, the bus begins accelerating from rest with a constant acceleration of .170m/s^2. What is the minimum speed she must run to catch the bus?

This is what I've done so far:
[tex]x_{bus}=1/2*.17*t^2[/tex]
[tex]x_{girl}=-40+v_0t[/tex]
[tex]1/2*.17*t^2=-40+v_0t[/tex]
[tex]v_0=.085t+40/t[/tex]

And this is where I get stuck. I'm having a hell of a time getting rid of that unknown time. I've tried integrating that and setting it equal to the position of the bus but nothing is matching up with the correct answer in the back of the book. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the quadratic formula to get an expression for t in terms of v from your third line, above. If there is a positive solution for t, then v is "fast enough". For what values of v is there a positive solution?

Can't you take the derivative of it, so when the slope=0, that's your minimum?

Thank you moose, I don't know why I didn't do that earlier. I s'pose looking at the problem for too long had me wanting to do it one way so I ignored the correct way. Thanks a ton!

1. What is the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" homework problem?

The "Min Speed to Catch Bus" homework problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the minimum speed at which a person must travel in order to catch a bus that is already in motion.

2. How do you solve the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem?

To solve the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem, you must first determine the distance between the person and the bus, as well as the speed of the bus. Then, using the formula Distance = Speed x Time, you can calculate the time it will take for the person to reach the bus. Finally, you can use the formula Speed = Distance / Time to calculate the minimum speed required for the person to catch the bus.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem?

Common mistakes when solving the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula, and not taking into account the acceleration or deceleration of the bus. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem. Some other methods include using the formula Speed = (Distance + Speed of bus) / Time, or setting up and solving a system of equations.

5. How can the "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem be applied in real life?

The "Min Speed to Catch Bus" problem can be applied in real life situations where a person needs to catch a moving bus, train, or other means of transportation. It can also be used to calculate the minimum speed needed to catch a friend who is running ahead, or to catch a ball that is thrown at a certain speed.