Calculating the Direction of a Block's Travel from Multiple Forces

In summary, the net force on a 20 kg block pushed from the east with 100 N, from the west with 20 N, and from the south with 150 N results in a vector in the second quadrant with a magnitude of 61.9 degrees measured counterclockwise from the westward horizontal. However, if measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, the correct angle is 118.1 degrees. The book's answer of 152 degrees from the x axis is incorrect.
MCATPhys
Simple question: 20 kg block pushed from the east with 100 N, from the west with 20 N, and from south with 150 N. In what direction does the block travel.

net x = 100-20 = 80 towards west
net y = 150 towards north

tan (x) = 150/80
x = 61.9 degrees

For some reason, the book says the answer is "151.9 degrees measured counterclockwise from east" Can someone tell me what I did wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the vectors on a coordinate system and you'll probably immediately see where you've gone wrong. Let the north be in the positive y direction and east be in the positive x direction.

CanIExplore said:
Draw the vectors on a coordinate system and you'll probably immediately see where you've gone wrong. Let the north be in the positive y direction and east be in the positive x direction.

I did do that. The resultant x force is towards the left, so I drew it on the -x axis. the resultant y force is towards the north, so I drew it on the positive y axis.

MCATPhys said:
I did do that. The resultant x force is towards the left, so I drew it on the -x axis. the resultant y force is towards the north, so I drew it on the positive y axis.

Notice the total vector is in the second quadrant. You have to take the signs of the components into account. So you've got the magnitude of the angle right but that's for a vector in the first quadrant.

I did all my calculations on the second quadrant.

So I drew a line on the -x axis that corresponds to the 80N, and at its tip I drew another vector pointing up corresponding to the 150N. So the resulting angle is in the second quadrant. The answer I got was 61.9 degrees north of west. In other words, 180-61.9 = 118.1 degrees from the first quadrant.

+x direction is towards the east, -x direction is towards the west. The net x-force is towards the west (therefore negative direction/towards -x). When solving for the angle, it should be:

tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{150}{-80}[/tex]

You must visualize and be able to understand exactly in what direction these angles are relative to. Solving for this angle (equation above), you get -62[tex]\circ[/tex], which is measured "CCW" with respect to the westward horizontal (measured CCW - not CW - with respect to the westward/-x axis; this is because (-)CCW is actually (+)CW - MEANING: actual solved value (the negative value) is measured CCW from west axis, however if using the absolute value of this angle, it would be measured CW since you got rid of the negative). However, this very same angle measured CCW with respect to the the +x horizontal would have to be 180 - ans (62) = 118. This should be the correct answer, if the book says 152 degrees from the +x axis, then I believe it is wrong (rare).

Simple proof:
150>80, and therefore the angle measured CCW with respect to the +x axis should be <135 degrees. 118 matches this requirement, 152 does not.

Last edited:
EngineerHead said:
+x direction is towards the east, -x direction is towards the west. The net x-force is towards the west (therefore negative direction/towards -x). When solving for the angle, it should be:

tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{150}{-80}[/tex]

If I do that... I get -61.9 degrees, which points in the fourth quadrant...

^ See edited post.

I understand now... thanks so much

What angle does block travel?

The angle at which a block travels depends on the direction and force applied to it. It can travel at any angle, from 0 degrees (horizontal) to 90 degrees (vertical).

What is the best angle for a block to travel?

The best angle for a block to travel depends on the desired outcome or objective. For example, if the goal is to maximize distance traveled, a 45 degree angle is often considered optimal.

How does the angle affect the speed of the block?

The angle of travel can affect the speed of the block as it can impact the force and direction of the motion. In general, a steeper angle will result in a faster speed, while a more horizontal angle may result in a slower speed.

Can the angle of travel be changed during motion?

Yes, the angle of travel can be changed during motion by applying a different force or direction to the block. This can cause the block to change its trajectory and travel at a different angle.

How does the surface or material of the block affect its angle of travel?

The surface or material of the block can impact its angle of travel by affecting the amount of friction between the block and its surroundings. For example, a block on a smooth surface may travel at a different angle compared to the same block on a rough surface.