1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are 2nd, 3rd and 4th and first year grad school like for a Pure Math Major?

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1
    I'm just wondering
    im going into 2nd year. ..I'm taking Analysis I, Differential Equations Calc III ,Probability all in the same semester and then Abstract Alg I , Linear Alg II , calc IV in 2nd semester

Just wondering what I can expect for the differnet years...how much more intense it is

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

it cannot be detailed in a family forum.

4. Aug 13, 2008 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

ohhh, you mean what is it like NOWW???

NOT BACK IN THE DAY.

well it is a picnic, a walk in the park, a cushy, overly supportive, mickey mouse,

triviality.

5. Aug 13, 2008 #4

SCV

It will be as intense as you want it to be. You can take it easy and do the bare minimum and basically it will be like mathwonk described.

Or you can choose to challenge yourself and excel beyond expectations.

6. Aug 14, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'd say it's intense. I'm no math major, but past the first year you'll be doing a lot more proof-intensive stuff.

7. Aug 14, 2008 #6

SCV

Well for someone who is not a math major it might seem intense but for someone who is going to graduate school in math it is different.

8. Aug 14, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

He didn't say he was going on to grad school.

9. Aug 14, 2008 #8

SCV

He also asked what first year of grad school would be like.
    So a hypothesis for us is that he would continue to be a math major and go to grad school.

10. Aug 17, 2008 #9
    Beware of mickey though, a talking mouse is always something to be alert of, look at dangermouse, he's dangerous!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?