• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What are 2nd, 3rd and 4th and first year grad school like for a Pure Math Major?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm just wondering
im going into 2nd year. ..I'm taking Analysis I, Differential Equations Calc III ,Probability all in the same semester and then Abstract Alg I , Linear Alg II , calc IV in 2nd semester

Just wondering what I can expect for the differnet years...how much more intense it is

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
it cannot be detailed in a family forum.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ohhh, you mean what is it like NOWW???

NOT BACK IN THE DAY.

well it is a picnic, a walk in the park, a cushy, overly supportive, mickey mouse,

triviality.

SCV
I'm just wondering
im going into 2nd year. ..I'm taking Analysis I, Differential Equations Calc III ,Probability all in the same semester and then Abstract Alg I , Linear Alg II , calc IV in 2nd semester

Just wondering what I can expect for the differnet years...how much more intense it is
It will be as intense as you want it to be. You can take it easy and do the bare minimum and basically it will be like mathwonk described.

Or you can choose to challenge yourself and excel beyond expectations.

Defennder
Homework Helper
I'd say it's intense. I'm no math major, but past the first year you'll be doing a lot more proof-intensive stuff.

SCV
I'd say it's intense. I'm no math major, but past the first year you'll be doing a lot more proof-intensive stuff.
Well for someone who is not a math major it might seem intense but for someone who is going to graduate school in math it is different.

Defennder
Homework Helper
He didn't say he was going on to grad school.

SCV
He didn't say he was going on to grad school.
He also asked what first year of grad school would be like.
So a hypothesis for us is that he would continue to be a math major and go to grad school.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
ohhh, you mean what is it like NOWW???

NOT BACK IN THE DAY.

well it is a picnic, a walk in the park, a cushy, overly supportive, mickey mouse,

triviality.
Beware of mickey though, a talking mouse is always something to be alert of, look at dangermouse, he's dangerous!