1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs What are all the jobs you can get with a Physics PhD?

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Except for teaching (that's the obvious). Please don't be vague and say ("research"), some specific examples would be nice (so in a sense not ALL the physics jobs, but specific things you could do - ie, work at NASA, be a stock market analyst, etc.). I just want to have an idea of what I can do with it - I'm a bit afraid that the only types of jobs open (from the jokes and whatnot) are teaching, and that's just not what I want to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2
    I believe it was ZapperZ who started a thread a few weeks ago that had a job website showing all the jobs asking for someone with the qualification of physicists. Had quite the array of jobs available. You can propably find it if you look through the last few pages.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I did... if you browse my Journal, there are at least 2 entries titled "Employment in Physics" that list all the job openings for physics degree holders. This is the best and clearest way to get an idea of the kinds of jobs that physicsts gets, depending very highly on the area of physics, of course.

Zz.

5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    Nice resources u got there in ur journal, ZapperZ.. if only it got an RSS feed.

6. Dec 11, 2004 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Thank you. I guess, short of that, you just have to keep an eye on it regularly. Who knows what other tidbits I will have in store soon? :)

Zz.

7. Dec 12, 2004 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

i guess i could plug a little flowchart ive made

doubt it will answer your question but at least it will give you a general sense and help find direction :zzz:

[​IMG]

Also there is a neat list of some topics in physics that you can later google at this site:
    http://www.zsu.edu.cn/zsu/dept/ewuliindex.htm

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?