Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are Charges?

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    I've been working with charges for sometime...but barely have any idea as to what charges are...how do they exist?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Hmmm...well...I guess the question I was trying to ask is why are there charges...but there isn't much of an answer to that (after all, science tells the how rather than the why).
  5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    charge is a fundamental property of matter that is very difficult to describe in physical terms, you find electron , quarks etc have charge , but if you break electron or quarks ( which is a fool thing to say i.e they are elementry particle ) you are not going to find any separate thing like charge. types of charge is some different question that can be described
    as you can call them +tive or -tive as they are antagonastic.But it is totally upon you which you will choose as +tive or -tive.So as by convention we had chosen charge on electron
    as -tive.
    but i don't think that you are asking any thing about the types of charge , but you are looking for true meaning of charge.But i don't think that any one can fully describe it in physical terms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?