What are delta bonds?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey, could anybody plz explain what are delta bonds, how and why are they formed?

Answers and Replies

You know what sigma bonds are, a bond between two s-orbitals, or between an s-orbital and a p-orbital, etc? And a pi bond is between two p-orbitals, or between two lobes of d-orbitals, right? A delta bond is between all four lobes of two d-orbitals. Fairly rare and not a very strong interaction from what I understand.

TRCSF said:
You know what sigma bonds are, a bond between two s-orbitals, or between an s-orbital and a p-orbital, etc? And a pi bond is between two p-orbitals, or between two lobes of d-orbitals, right? A delta bond is between all four lobes of two d-orbitals. Fairly rare and not a very strong interaction from what I understand.
Could you give some examples plz? And are their any other sort of bonds, other than sigma, pi and delta? If so, could you explain them too, plz?

Neha Sanghvi said:
Could you give some examples plz? And are their any other sort of bonds, other than sigma, pi and delta? If so, could you explain them too, plz?
:smile: Perhaps a type between f-orbitals? :redface:

bomba923 said:
:smile: Perhaps a type between f-orbitals? :redface:
Hey, I was just asking a question as we have bonds involving s, p and d orbitals, so why not f orbitals? And plz, could you give me some delta bonds examples?

The only example of a delta bond that comes to mind is 6d(delta symbol)g.

I found this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple_bond" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: