Delta Bonds Explained: What, How & Why

• Thread starter Neha Sanghvi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonds Delta
In summary, delta bonds are a type of bond that occurs between all four lobes of two d-orbitals. They are rare and not very strong. Other types of bonds include sigma bonds (between s-orbitals or between s- and p-orbitals) and pi bonds (between p-orbitals or between lobes of d-orbitals). There may also be bonds involving f-orbitals, but they are not as common. One example of a delta bond is 6d(delta symbol)g.
Neha Sanghvi
Hey, could anybody please explain what are delta bonds, how and why are they formed?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You know what sigma bonds are, a bond between two s-orbitals, or between an s-orbital and a p-orbital, etc? And a pi bond is between two p-orbitals, or between two lobes of d-orbitals, right? A delta bond is between all four lobes of two d-orbitals. Fairly rare and not a very strong interaction from what I understand.

TRCSF said:
You know what sigma bonds are, a bond between two s-orbitals, or between an s-orbital and a p-orbital, etc? And a pi bond is between two p-orbitals, or between two lobes of d-orbitals, right? A delta bond is between all four lobes of two d-orbitals. Fairly rare and not a very strong interaction from what I understand.

Could you give some examples please? And are their any other sort of bonds, other than sigma, pi and delta? If so, could you explain them too, please?

Neha Sanghvi said:
Could you give some examples please? And are their any other sort of bonds, other than sigma, pi and delta? If so, could you explain them too, please?

:smile: Perhaps a type between f-orbitals? :redface:

bomba923 said:
:smile: Perhaps a type between f-orbitals? :redface:

Hey, I was just asking a question as we have bonds involving s, p and d orbitals, so why not f orbitals? And please, could you give me some delta bonds examples?

The only example of a delta bond that comes to mind is 6d(delta symbol)g.

I found this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple_bond"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are delta bonds?

Delta bonds are covalent bonds between two atoms in which the electrons are shared equally between the two atoms. The term "delta" refers to the Greek letter Δ, which is often used to symbolize equal distribution.

2. How are delta bonds formed?

Delta bonds are formed when two atoms with similar electronegativities come close enough together for their electron clouds to overlap. This allows for the sharing of electrons between the two atoms, creating a bond.

3. Why are delta bonds important?

Delta bonds play a crucial role in stabilizing molecules and determining their shape. They are also important in the formation of double and triple bonds, which are essential for the formation of many organic compounds.

4. How do delta bonds differ from other types of bonds?

Unlike sigma bonds, which have a cylindrical shape and allow for rotation around the bond axis, delta bonds have a more planar shape and restrict rotation. They also have a higher electron density between the two atoms, making them stronger.

5. Are delta bonds found in all molecules?

No, delta bonds are typically found in molecules that contain atoms with similar electronegativities, such as carbon-carbon bonds in alkenes and alkynes. They are also found in other molecules with double and triple bonds, such as nitrogen and oxygen compounds.