Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are Demi-bosons

Tags:
  1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    What is demi-bosons, or demons in particle physics. I searched Google but got no serious answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2
    I can't find mentions of "demi bosons" on the arXiv or anywhere sensible, and the only "demon" I know about in physics is Maxwell's demon.

Can you provide more context about where you heard this?

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Unless these names came to you in a dream, where exactly did you hear such names being used? Can't you even provide us that?

Zz.

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
    It is somehow related to spinon, and share a similar production process.
    By the way, even if I make a mistake, you don't need to sound so harsh as if I am crazy. We are all sincere physics learners.

6. Jul 7, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This makes no sense. Spinons are collective excitation of the magnetic spin fluctuation in condensed matter.

So I gather that can't even provide us even with a simple source of where you hear these things?

Zz.

7. Jul 7, 2015 #6
    What you said is spinon in condensed matter physics. A Higgs-related production predicts a new spin 1/2 particle, which is analogous to spinon in condensed matter physics

8. Jul 7, 2015 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So provide a reference already! Why is this like pulling teeth?

Zz.

9. Jul 7, 2015 #8
    The 'demi' prefix indicates half of something, or a hybrid, (think of ancient Greek demigods, half human, half deity)
    So a demi-boson would be half boson and half something else.
    I am sure that there is nothing like this in the standard model, or for that matter in any other model.
    That's why you won't find it by searching.

10. Jul 7, 2015 #9

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

We would all like to see a reference to a scientific paper or an article in a popular science e-zine that cites the scientific paper. Please.

11. Jul 8, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This thread does not make sense without a reference to "demi-bosons". @eifphysics: If you have one, please send me a message, then I'll open the thread again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook