What are electrons? (Is why a duck?)

• Thread starter steven kalb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the concept of electrons in physics. The understanding of the subject is based on popular non-fiction books, but as the explanations progress, the science becomes more complex and even supernatural. The conversation outlines two types of electrons - domestic and independent - and their different behaviors. While independent electrons are straightforward and can be tracked and measured, domestic electrons are imbued with mystical attributes and can exist in multiple states at once. The conversation also touches on the uncertainty principle and the square of the wave equation, but ultimately questions the validity of the explanation for electron behavior, as it seems to rely heavily on faith rather than observable and repeatable phenomena.
steven kalb
I’m confused by a bedrock concept of physics – the electron, but I’m not a scientist and I can’t do the math that’s necessary to clarify what I’m missing.

My understanding of the subject, such as it is, comes from popular non-fiction like Gary Zukav’s “Dancing Wu Li Masters” and Bill Bryson’s “A Short History of Nearly Everything.” As the explanations of the electron and its behavior in these texts progresses from the general to the specific, the underlying science progresses from straightforward, to arcane, to supernatural. I’ve outlined my understanding below.

There is an entity called an electron. It is an unambiguous fact that an electron is an electron. That is, even though an electron may be a conglomeration of smaller sub-particles, once those sub-particles coalesce in the one certain way necessary to create an electron, the result is an immutable entity of an established and immutable size.

But, that immutable entity can, to turn a metaphor back on its source, lead one of two different lifestyles -- domestic or independent.

Domestic electrons (d-electrons for purposes this exercise) form part of an atom – the quintessential nuclear family. d-electrons circumnavigate their nuclei, but only within specified real estate -- allowed energy states, orbitals, whatever -- in relation to their nuclei. Returning to a simpler time I’ll refer to that real estate as shells.

Independent electrons (i-electrons), on the other hand, exist independently of the nucleus of an atom. Still an i-electron is an electron, which is an immutable entity.

There are additional alternatives forms an electron can take, because depending upon how i-electrons separate from the vicinity of an atom they are referred to as different entities. One that fires from atoms residing in a negatively charged metal plate and, for one example, forms an image on a television screen, is a cathode ray. One that fires at a much higher rate of speed from an unstable atomic nucleus is beta radiation. One that is manipulated by technician to perform specific tasks is called a nanomachine. And I’m sure there are others. Still, cathode rays, beta radiation and nanomachines are all i-electrons, and since all i-electrons are electrons, they are all one and the same immutable entity. Rather like you. Whether you dress in a t-shirt and shorts, a business suit or formal evening wear, all three are still you.

Except for their multiple personality disorder, i-electrons appear to be straightforward, not unlike many familiar everyday entities – a baseball, a grape, a marble. i-electrons are particles that can travel. Scientists can track their path through gases; measure their size and mass; locate them in space; determine where they’ve been and where they’re going.

d-electrons, on the other hand, are imbued with mystical attributes.

• Are always there, but don’t exist until we measure them;

• But when we do measure them (and therefore they exist):

• they are everywhere and nowhere at the same time; and

• they can be a wave. Or they can be a particle. At the same time

• And so on until it is all presumably explained by the uncertainty principle and the square of the wave equation.

This unfortunately does not complete the personality profile of d-electrons. But boxed into a corner by the weirdness, science has left itself nowhere to turn to complete the profile but the spiritual.

• d-electrons are electrons (which are the immutable entities)

• an atom of any given element has only given number of (d-) electrons

• d-electrons can only exist within their shells, not between them

• the shell a d-electron resides in at any given moment is a function of its energy state

• (repeating) d-electrons can only exist within their shells, not between them

• so to get from one sub-shell to the next, a d-electron makes the quantum leap -- it ceases existing in one shell and simultaneously materializes in another shell, without traversing the intervening space.

And sciences explanation for this behavior? It’s the only way it can be because the universe made it that way. In other words it has to be taken on faith.

Anyone who’s read this far should sense my confusion.

Being a layman, there are a lot of scientific explanations I can’t follow or reason through. But others infinitely brighter than I have done the experiments, replicated the results, done the math, demonstrated the practical applications, and on and on, so I accept their explanations, on what amounts to an act of faith on my part. But it is an act of faith predicated on deference to their education and experience.

A perfect example, I’m still mystified by radio. The physical explanation notwithstanding, the whole concept still strikes me as nothing short of slight of hand. But it works, so I accept the explanation science provides. But I can’t accept science’s explanation of electron behavior with the same level of confidence.

I admit that I’m peering at science from a distant viewpoint and trying to bring the images into focus with a crude instrument – an untrained brain. But from my cloudly vantage point, physicists take the explanation of electrons and their behavior to a certain point with science. Then, when the science fails them (perhaps for no better reason than the unavailability of instruments powerful enough to observe the constituent parts of an atom), they stop trying to make the science work and take the leap of faith – it’s the way it is because the universe made them that way. That, to me, is not sufficient for a discipline based on mathematical expression of observable and repeatable phenomena.

Are we really to accept on faith is that d-electrons disappear from one shell and simultaneously materialize in another one nearby without traversing the space between them? Maybe they sneak through sub-atomic worm holes?

I’ve seen my twelve year old son do the same trick with a glowing plastic ball. He holds his hands at his side, rocks them back and forth, and makes the glowing ball jump from one hand to the other without navigating the two feet or so between his hands. Being true to his craft, my son would never disclose me how this particular phenomenon occurs. So I have three choices. I can take it on faith that he really made the ball disappear from one hand and simultaneously materialize in the other hand, but I prefer to believe it’s just an illusion and I don’t know how it’s done.

Accepting that transmigration is a defining characteristic of d-electrons, strikes me as more akin to the dubious reasoning Darwin Award winners employ than endorsing the explanation for why someone can talk into a steel box in one location and I can hear them by listening to a plastic box ten miles or ten thousand miles away.

And phase-shifting d-electrons are only part of the problem. Science teaches that d-electrons and i-electrons are one in the same immutable entity – electrons. But as nearly as I can tell, the only thing they electrons have in common is a negative electrical charge.

I can sum up the problem by changing nomenclature for the moment and calling i-electrons “ducks” (as in an “if it looks like a, walks like a, and quacks like a” duck). If I follow the logic of quantum physicists, they have concluded that since a d-electron looks like a goose, walks like a goose and squawks like a goose, then it probably is a - duck. (?)

Maybe the discordant theories are accepted because it doesn’t matter whether science knows what an electron is. Whatever the metaphysics, the engineering is unassailable. Science can predict with absolute certainty what will happen when d-electrons from one atom come in contact with d-electrons of another atom. Science works with and manipulates combinations of atoms and molecules on a daily basis, so the reason why what they do works many be of no more import than the solution to last week’s crossword puzzle. It’s like when the big news broke that Velociraptors evolved into ospreys, not iguanas. My first thought was: Oh, cool! My second thought was: But, so what?

Still the explanations are out there, absolute, unassailable, inviolate. If the explanations were any of a number of things – that the electron value of an atom represented not the sum of the charges of its discreet electrons but rather the aggregate charge of its electron shells; that the electron shells were the measurable evidence of the boundary of the attractive power of the positively charge nucleus; that the electron shells were a fifth force; that spins were attractive forces analogous to positive and negative electrical forces, preventing the shell from disintegrating; that when enough of the negatively charged matter comprising the shells separated it could coalesce into discreet i-electrons; that the inverse of the obtuse was the differential of the square root of the wave function – I’d shrug my shoulders and accept it.

And to do all that science and end up with like wow, man, groovy, time-traveling particles and “even thought they’re almost completely different they’re really the same”, well, it feels more like scripture than science.

So back to my original question, can someone explain to me in layman’s English what I’m missing? Or extending my duck metaphor and re-naming the d-electron a “why”, (because it acts in such unexplainable ways): Is why a duck?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what exactly did you want to know? I doubt i could help you but someone else might be able to if you could clarify your question a bit(thats if it is a question, or maybe i just missed the question).

I definitely concur. I have no idea what you're trying to ask. You sound like you know the concepts behind the Heisenberg uncertainty principle...possibly wave-particle duality, but I'm not too sure if you comprehend the relation between the electron and EM waves. Like Andy said if you keep it a little more pithy there's definitely several posters that can help you.

One thing I can say is that it can't be split like you implied it might be. Electrons have been given plenty of different names, because a while back people didn't realize that all these various phenomena such as [beta] -radiation etc. were to due to the electron. Yes electrons do show particle like and wave like behaviour all at the same time (duallity) - but so do all fundamental particles.
If electrons were a particle though, they would have to volume and thus no shape.

While it might be hard to get to grips with all this, no mathematical understanding is required, just simple faith and a damn good explanation that no one has been able to come up with yet

Originally posted by steven kalb
That is, even though an electron may be a conglomeration of smaller sub-particles
An electron has been demonstrated by all theory and experiment to date to be a fundamental, indivisible particle.
Domestic electrons... Independent electrons (i-electrons)
Please refrain from inventing additional, unnecessary terminology.

The reason that bound and unbound electrons behave differently is not due to any mysticism of the electron itself -- it is instead just due to the fact that the two environments are very different.

To make a not-so-useful analogy, you're familiar with the fact that free and captive animals behave quite differently. The electron behaves quite differently in different environments as well, and this just shouldn't be bewildering to you.

Quantum-mechanically, the difference between the behavior of bound and unbound electrons is a result of allowed energy states. The unbound (free) electron experiences (ideally) no interactions with anything else in the universe -- it's just moving uniformly through space. It can have any energy, any momentum, since any arbitrary observer can have any arbitrary relative velocity with respect to it. It has no rules to follow in regards to its energy.

When the electron -- the very same one -- approaches a nucleus, the rules begin to change. The electron enters a potential -- it feels forces due to the positive charge of the nucleus. The end result is that the electron is no longer able to have any energy; it is only able to have specific (discrete) energies. Thus the electron shells are built around the nucleus. This behavior is not specific to electrons around nuclei either -- bound states of any system have discrete allowed energies. It is a fundamental feature of the universe.
One that is manipulated by technician to perform specific tasks is called a nanomachine.
I don't think anyone has ever called an electron a nanomachine.
d-electrons, on the other hand, are imbued with mystical attributes.

• Are always there, but don’t exist until we measure them;

• But when we do measure them (and therefore they exist):

• they are everywhere and nowhere at the same time; and

• they can be a wave. Or they can be a particle. At the same time

• And so on until it is all presumably explained by the uncertainty principle and the square of the wave equation.
The misconceptions abound. Electrons do not cease to exist unless measured (and in fact I have no idea how you arrived at this misconception). What you're trying to say that they do not have definite properties. If you prepare 1000 electrons in the same state, and then make a measurement on each of them, you will not get 1000 identical answers. Electrons are not everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Every measurement of an electron's position will result in a specific ("crisp") result. However, if you measure it several times, you won't always get the same result. The wave-particle duality picture is one that I wish people would leave behind. In the microscopic world, there are no waves, nor any particles. There is, instead, only one thing, but it exists only in the microscopic world. We can describe the thing with macroscopic wave concepts sometimes, and with macroscopic particle concepts other times -- but the microscopic things are just not like the macroscopic things we'd like to use as analogies, and there is no way around it.
• d-electrons are electrons (which are the immutable entities)

• an atom of any given element has only given number of (d-) electrons

• d-electrons can only exist within their shells, not between them

• the shell a d-electron resides in at any given moment is a function of its energy state

• (repeating) d-electrons can only exist within their shells, not between them

• so to get from one sub-shell to the next, a d-electron makes the quantum leap -- it ceases existing in one shell and simultaneously materializes in another shell, without traversing the intervening space.
More misconceptions. Electrons can exist anywhere. Any electron in any shell could potentially be anywhere anytime you measure it. Anywhere in the universe. The likelihood of it being in the next galaxy over, however, is vanishingly small -- it is extremely likely that it will be found within the boundaries of a small region (orbital) around its nucleus. I have no idea what a "function of its energy state" even means, so I cannot comment. The penultimate point you made, that "electrons can only exist within their shells, not between them," however, is patently wrong in every possible sense. The ultimate point, that electrons have to somehow teleport from shell to shell is equally patently, disgustingly wrong. The probability densities do not fall to zero outside the shell. The shell has no boundary. You could define the boundary as the 99% confidence region, but to include 100% confidence, you'd have to include the entire universe. The probability densities overlap. The electron in one shell has a finite, non-zero probability of being measured in another shell. The electron is able to move between shells.
And sciences explanation for this behavior? It’s the only way it can be because the universe made it that way. In other words it has to be taken on faith.
The only 'faith' one needs is in the axioms of a theory. Quantum mechanics has only a few postulates that deal only with how one mathematically represents a system. Your favorite points of confusion -- the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, for example -- are not axioms, they are derived from the axioms.
But it is an act of faith predicated on deference to their education and experience... But I can’t accept science’s explanation of electron behavior with the same level of confidence.
Quit your *****ing and buy a textbook.
Then, when the science fails them (perhaps for no better reason than the unavailability of instruments powerful enough to observe the constituent parts of an atom), they stop trying to make the science work and take the leap of faith.
How can you even expect these kinds of comments to receive anything in response apart from laughter and derision? You have no idea how science works -- a fact that you've made clear several times now. So why do you feel you understand scientists well enough to make these kinds of statements? I have no idea what it's like to be a surgeon. I therefore refrain from making comments about how surgeons think. It is offensive that you seem to think you know how I think. It just makes you look stupid.
Are we really to accept on faith is that d-electrons disappear from one shell and simultaneously materialize in another one nearby without traversing the space between them?
Of course not -- and if you had even a passing knowledge of any of the concepts you think you understand, you'd realize it.

You are perhaps one of the worst cocktail-party physicists I've ever heard. You are the result of a long history of reading crap paperbook "science" books. You know some of the buzzwords, some of the concepts, and some of the bits that give students problems. However, you don't seem to recognize how pathetically ill-equipped you are to do anything but talk to other pathetically ill-equipped people around a punch bowl.

You now have a choice. The answers you seek are out there. You CAN understand quantum mechanics. However, the answers are not in paperback NY Times bestsellers -- they do nothing but distort the truth in order to package it in English prose. Go buy some textbooks -- we can recommend which are good starting points for your level of mathematical ability -- and teach yourself the goddamn theory. Until then, do not even attempt to tell us scientists that "we stop trying to make science work."

- Warren

Hey Warren...
Take it easy tiger!
The guy just wants to learn something new.
He's only as baffled as we all were when we
first learned about all this stuff!

(Quote from the original post)
Science can predict with absolute certainty [...]
If your book is based on this statement, then I think it's not a very realistic book. As far as I understand, 'absolute certainty' is not a concept used in science.

Originally posted by Ace-of-Spades
Hey Warren...
Take it easy tiger!
The guy just wants to learn something new.
He's only as baffled as we all were when we
first learned about all this stuff!
I doubt that. It looks more like a post-and-run wacked out pseudo-scientific theory to me. The goal isn't to learn, but to spread his idea and possibly (if he comes back) to hock his website or book.

lol
Man you guys are paranoid!

If you're not skeptical about the things youve been
taught, how do you ever hope to come up with new ideas?

"Given enough time, anyone can come to understand physical
principals, but it takes an imaginative mind to invent new
ones" - A famous quote by Steven Sterley

Chroot

Originally posted by chroot

In the microscopic world, there are no waves, nor any particles. There is, instead, only one thing, but it exists only in the microscopic world. We can describe the thing with macroscopic wave concepts sometimes, and with macroscopic particle concepts other times -- but the microscopic things are just not like the macroscopic things we'd like to use as analogies, and there is no way around it.

Could you please go into more detail about that "one thing"?

If we measure this guy's theory

do you think it will disappear?

Originally posted by Ace-of-Spades
lol
Man you guys are paranoid!

If you're not skeptical about the things youve been
taught, how do you ever hope to come up with new ideas?
Not paranoid, just cynical.

What is an electron

For Andy and E8, maybe my initial post is long winded and flip, but all I’m looking for is a comprehensible explanation for two concepts: free electrons and electrons that are the constituent part of atoms are one and the same; and when an electron becomes a part of, for example, a Beryllium atom it is one of 4 discrete entities, each identical to a free electron, orbiting (or whatever electrons do) in relation to the nucleus of that atom.

The problem I see is summed up by Ace of Spades (While it might be hard to get to grips with all this, no mathematical understanding is required, just simple faith and a damn good explanation that no one has been able to come up with yet”) and for all his anger, Warren (“There is, instead, only one thing, but it exists only in the microscopic world. We can describe the thing with macroscopic wave concepts sometimes, and with macroscopic particle concepts other times -- but the microscopic things are just not like the macroscopic things we'd like to use as analogies, and there is no way around it.”)

Axiomatic statements like these seem to me to be too much like the faithful preaching gospel. Patently neither is correct. There are explanations other than faith, and there are ways around the gaps in our knowledge, but humans don’t (and may never) possesses the technology to discern them.

Technology never stops evolving and with new technology comes new understanding. For one example, Warren says “An electron has been demonstrated by all theory and experiment to date to be a fundamental, indivisible particle,” but (again only from popular sources) I’ve been led to believe that the building blocks of the universe are not protons, neutrons and electrons, but ever expanding menu of sub-atomic particles -- muons, pioons, hyoperons, mesons, leptons, and so on.

What I suppose I’m looking for is leads to cutting edge thought by legitimate physicists that goes beyond present orthodoxy. Not that present orthodoxy won’t in the end prove to be correct, but are there any new theories in the canon to prove (or disprove) it?

leptons = electrons and corresponding neutrinos
Quarks and leptons are the fundamentals.
Quarks make up baryons and mesons.

Something to remember.

Wow! Warren must have an electron stuck where the sun don't shine. Now I know where the term Mad Scientist came from.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Steven Kalb is out fishing for whatever bites. Even a Mad Scientist could come to grips with this, or maybe I'm wrong about the Mad Scientist.:wink:

I do have a few question regarding the electron in regards to it's particle wave duality.

When is an electron a particle?
When is an electron a wave?
Is an electron a particle and a wave at the same time?
Does an electron move at C at all times?

Originally posted by Arc_Central
Wow! Warren must have an electron stuck where the sun don't shine. Now I know where the term Mad Scientist came from.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Steven Kalb is out fishing for whatever bites. Even a Mad Scientist could come to grips with this, or maybe I'm wrong about the Mad Scientist.:wink:

I do have a few question regarding the electron in regards to it's particle wave duality.

When is an electron a particle?
When is an electron a wave?
Is an electron a particle and a wave at the same time?
Does an electron move at C at all times?

Well I CAN answer the last one with high certainty. Electrons don't move at c. They have mass and therefore cannot. In fact in a wire, electrons hardly move at all. They slowly migrate down, let's say, a copper wire due to resistance. They can be accelerated to near the speed of light but that is about it.

Axiomatic statements like these seem to me to be too much like the faithful preaching gospel.

No.

The theories we have are tested. The statements that make their way to physics textbooks are the ones that survived after the bad theories had been falsified by experiment.

I’ve been led to believe that the building blocks of the universe are not protons, neutrons and electrons, but ever expanding menu of sub-atomic particles -- muons, pioons, hyoperons, mesons, leptons, and so on.

No.

In the Standard Model, the building blocks of the universe are quarks and leptons. The pions, hyperons and mesons are all composed of quarks.

What I suppose I’m looking for is leads to cutting edge thought by legitimate physicists that goes beyond present orthodoxy. Not that present orthodoxy won’t in the end prove to be correct, but are there any new theories in the canon to prove (or disprove) it?

What you are looking for then is some information on String Theory, which is out to replace the Standard Model (which is a union of two quantum field theories, electroweak and QCD).

An electron will appear to you as a wave if you do an experiment that depends on its wave properties (such as two slit interference). It will appear as a particle when you do an experiment that depends on its particle properties (such as deep inelastic scattering).

There is a princple of physics (like an axiom) called the Complementarity Principle that says you can't do an experiment that really truly evokes both properties at the same time.

Maybe you don't like an explanation in terms of experiments people do? That's the way quantum mechanics (and relativity) describe the world. You won't get any "deeper" answer.

For Andy and E8, maybe my initial post is long winded and flip, but all I’m looking for is a comprehensible explanation for two concepts:

Ha, its about time someone recognised my intelligence! Bit obvious that your new hear because if you had been hear any length of time you would realize that i have a very limited knowledge of physics relative to many of the others that use this forum.

Self ajoint

{{{{An electron will appear to you as a wave if you do an experiment that depends on its wave properties (such as two slit interference).}}}

You can do a slit experiment with electrons and it will work like the photons do?

neutroncount

{{{Well I CAN answer the last one with high certainty. Electrons don't move at c. They have mass and therefore cannot. In fact in a wire, electrons hardly move at all. They slowly migrate down, let's say, a copper wire due to resistance. They can be accelerated to near the speed of light but that is about it.}}}

But while they are slowly migrating down the wire are they not also revolving around a nucleus at or near C? If you could place an elctron by whatever means in the dead of space - Could it just sit there, or would it be moving at or near the speed of C?

But while they are slowly migrating down the wire are they not also revolving around a nucleus at or near C?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In a metal, such as the copper in the wire, electrons (the stream of which being electricity) that flow along the copper wire are NOT directly orbitting anyone nucleus.

They are part of something called a "sea of electrons" -- the outer couple of electrons are not bound to anyone nucleus, but rather ALL of the nucleui. In this way, the electrons are free to move about and can flow (electricity!)

In this way, electrons do NOT travel at c

===========

diagrams...

http://207.10.97.102/chemzone/lessons/03bonding/mleebonding/metallicbonding.htm

-and-

http://www.uis.edu/~trammell/MaterialsScience/bands/sld004.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do a slit experiment with electrons and it will work like the photons do?
Yes. In fact, every particle has its own associated probibility of doing the same thing. Imagine you have two windows sitting next to each other. If you jump out of one, there is a small (extrordinarily small) but real probibility that you will go out the other one instead. Freaky, huh?

But while they are slowly migrating down the wire are they not also revolving around a nucleus at or near C? If you could place an elctron by whatever means in the dead of space - Could it just sit there, or would it be moving at or near the speed of C?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

In a metal, such as the copper in the wire, electrons (the stream of which being electricity) that flow along the copper wire are NOT directly orbitting anyone nucleus.

They are part of something called a "sea of electrons" -- the outer couple of electrons are not bound to anyone nucleus, but rather ALL of the nucleui. In this way, the electrons are free to move about and can flow (electricity!)

In this way, electrons do NOT travel at c
Yes, but more to the point, electrons around an atom don't "orbit." The term "orbit" is a misnomer from before electron behavior was understood and the term has stuck. They are better considered to be part of an electron "cloud" which is nothing more than a probilbility function for where you might find an electron at any given time. When "orbiting" an atomic nucleus, they can't really be said to be moving at all in the Newtonian sense. Ie, the question 'what is the velocity of an electron orbiting an atom?' has no meaning. Its not unanswerable, its just an invalid question.

What are electrons (Is why a duck?)

Now we’re getting somewhere.

An unbound electron acts in certain ways – it can move about and flow and radiate and whatever. And (correct me if I’m wrong) an unbound electron is a particle

An electron bound by a nucleus acts in a completely different way. It seems it doesn’t act at all.

Yes, but more to the point, electrons around an atom don't "orbit." The term "orbit" is a misnomer from before electron behavior was understood and the term has stuck. They are better considered to be part of an electron "cloud" which is nothing more than a probilbility function for where you might find an electron at any given time. When "orbiting" an atomic nucleus, they can't really be said to be moving at all in the Newtonian sense. Ie, the question 'what is the velocity of an electron orbiting an atom?' has no meaning. Its not unanswerable, its just an invalid question.

It seems they only make appearances if, and depending on how, a researcher measures them.

An electron will appear to you as a wave if you do an experiment that depends on its wave properties (such as two slit interference). It will appear as a particle when you do an experiment that depends on its particle properties (such as deep inelastic scattering. ______________________________________________________________

This takes me back to my original question, which I can now state in a different fashion – as a series of questions.

Are the entities identified as unbound electrons and the entities identified as bound electrons the same entities?

Is the cloud around a, say, Beryllium nucleus really composed of four discrete electrons that have no velocity (that means they’re not moving, no?)? Or is it possible that cloud is four electrons worth of quarks and leptons (or some intermediate particles)?

I don’t want to be a broken record, but from the outside peering in it looks like this: The technology isn’t powerful enough to definitively explain electron behavior in the presence of atomic nuclei. So the science takes things as far as the technology allows and then turns to scripture.

Maybe you don't like an explanation in terms of experiments people do? That's the way quantum mechanics (and relativity) describe the world. You won't get any "deeper" answer.

I’m just too skeptical to accept any gospel, whether it’s writ by the priests or the physicists.

If String Theory will enlighten me, can anyone recommend an explanation accessible to laymen, on the order of “A Brief History of Time.”?

A lot of people like 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene.

When you talk about i-electrons and d-electrons I'm wondering if your talking about the difference between valence electrons and inner-shell electrons or maybe should be focused on that more. I just don't get your interest in the former unless I'm missing something. I have never heard anybody use that terminology when referring to electrons until now.

FYI, bound electrons may or may not 'act.' The outer-shell electrons (valence e-) are involved in bonding, they're characteristics are very well studied and carry a lot weight around in chemistry (periodic table?!). You can't really just say bound and unbound since bound has an important subdivision in itself outer and inner electrons that people spend their lives studying.

Bound electrons do radiate, it is their vibrations that emit and absorb radiation.

E8 I think he means i-electrons= free electron, whereas d-electrons equal electrons orbiting around a specific nucleus.

Once again Stephen Kalb, the best advice I have to give you is "Quit your *****ing, and buy a textbook." Many of the questions you ask can be answered by your own pencil on your own paper. The reason no one here is willing to descend deep into the mathematical jungle is because, simply, you won't understand it anyway.

Physics cannot be accurately described in English prose -- it's an inescapable problem. Generations of people have been reared thinking that reading a Hawking paperback is a sort of physics education, but it is sadly not. The concepts and conclusions of a theory as complex as quantum mechanics appear rather arbitrary and unfounded when written in prose. The different conclusions indeed seem disconnected and illogical. It is impossible to make this better by writing more, or higher quality prose -- prose is inherently limited, and just cannot achieve the precision and mutability necessary to work with a physical theory. You cannot do physics in words. The only way you'll be able to learn what you wish to learn is to begin working with the mathematical tools themselves. You will see at once how electrons behave differently in potential fields than they do in the abscence of a potential. You will not need to write pages of plaintive prose, nor read pages of admonishment in return. You will understand immediately how a potential field induces a quantization of energy levels. You, like many others, may find quantum mechanics beautiful in that you can derive so much from so little.

- Warren

Now we’re getting somewhere... Is the cloud around a, say, Beryllium nucleus really composed of four discrete electrons that have no velocity (that means they’re not moving, no?)?
No, I said they have no DEFINABLE velocity in the Newtonian sense. They are most certainly moving. In order to define a velocity, you have to take two exact snapshots of its position at two different times. Since electrons are small, this is impossible. The timeframe you'd need to be working in is shorter than Planck time (not positive about that one though). And this is where quantum mechanics gets so bizarre (and cool).
I don’t want to be a broken record, but from the outside peering in it looks like this: The technology isn’t powerful enough to definitively explain electron behavior in the presence of atomic nuclei. So the science takes things as far as the technology allows and then turns to scripture.
This has nothing to do with technology and there is no such thing as "gosphel" or "scripture" in science. Science does not deal in faith or belief. These are THEORETICAL issues, not ENGINEERING issues and its extremely important to understand the difference.

Example: People often compare the sound barrier to the "warp barrier." But that's wrong. The sound barrier was always an engineering one - once technology got good enough we could break it and physicists and engineers knew it. But the "warp barrier" is a theoretical one, ie according to the laws of the universe as we know them, it is not possible nor will it ever be possible to break it.

Similarly, we can't define a real position and speed (orbit) for an electron because there isn't one. Its not because we don't have the technology to see it.

Chroot

Physics cannot be accurately described in English prose

That's complete and utter BS.

That's complete and utter BS.
You obviously don't know much physics. How's the Hawking coming? :wink:

- Warren

I don't consider Hawking to be very good at explaining reality. It would seem by your own words that you are totally incapable. Essentially saying that it is even tougher than the math associated with physics.

I say that's a load of crap - BS wrapped around a hand grenade. I don't need math to understand you will end up with that line of garbage all over yer face. All you got to do is pull yer safety pin - The math you hide behind.

That's my physics lesson for today in ordinary language. I'm sure everyone understood the explosive nature of my comments in physical terms.

I'm sure somewhere in that post you intended to insert a reasoned, logical argument... didn't you?

The simple fact is that I know the math -- and I know from a great deal of experience that it's next to impossible to try to explain math with prose and achieve anything but confusion. Many other people (all of whom also know the math) would agree.

It's funny that you intimate that you don't know math -- yet you're quite sure it's unnecessary to explain physical models. What makes you so sure? What reason do you have to be sure that something you don't know isn't important?

There's a reason physicists work with mathematical models rather than English prose models -- and it's not because it provides job security.

- Warren

I agree with Warren, I know sod all about maths and therefore struggle with my ability to work out physics, i feel that i have good knowledge about physics relative to the average person but as soon as any hard maths gets involved and let's face it there is a lot of very hard and complicated maths in physics i get lost. If you think Physics is easy and that you don't need maths to work it out your obviously not as smart as you would like to think you are.

It's funny that you intimate that you don't know math -- yet you're quite sure it's unnecessary to explain physical models. What makes you so sure?

Because I was born and still live (last I saw) in that physical model. We all have a lifetime worth of experience in that model. Do I need to spell it out to you without numbers?

Are you to say you have left the playing field of geometry entirely? I.E. Visual percepts as the basis of reason?
Or are you incapable of transferring, in words, your personal understanding of basic concepts?

I know from a great deal of experience that it's next to impossible to try to explain math with prose and achieve anything but confusion.

Nobody is asking you to explain the math in words. In fact almost nobody is expecting the math. This is a message board where but less than a handfull have the experience you have with math. What use are you to me, or anyone else if you can't translate into words your mathematical description? You may as well be talking to a wall. Which begs the question - Why are you here at all? You might get more showing your equations to a dog.:wink: My personal opinion is that you come here because you like being the big fish in a small pond - As opposed to a small fish in the big ocean.

Because I was born and still live (last I saw) in that physical model. We all have a lifetime worth of experience in that model. Do I need to spell it out to you without numbers?
You have a lifetime worth of experience of how electrons behave in and out of potential barriers, such as that around a nucleus? Wow! You must be very, very small indeed!
Are you to say you have left the playing field of geometry entirely? I.E. Visual percepts as the basis of reason?
I don't know what a 'visual percept' is or how it or geometry relate to the behavior of electrons around nuclei -- but it's certainly true they don't behave in any way that we'd come expect by our 'lifetimes worth of experience.'
Nobody is asking you to explain the math in words.
This is, in fact, exactly what stephen kalb has asked us to do.
What use are you to me, or anyone else if you can't translate into words your mathematical description?
That's quite a double standard you have there -- it's my fault that quantum mechanics is extraordinarily difficult to express in English, while it's entirely okay that you refuse to learn math. I have to struggle to use language you can understand, but it's not okay for me to suggest you learn a better language?
Why are you here at all?
A number of reasons. 1) I have helped many people surmount their stumbling blocks. 2) Teaching others encourages me to review and hone my skills in various subjects. 3) It's fun to fight the mainstream Hawkingesque idiocy that pollutes the minds of most laymen.

- Warren

I don't know what a 'visual percept' is or how it or geometry relate to the behavior of electrons around nuclei -- but it's certainly true they don't behave in any way that we'd come expect by our 'lifetimes worth of experience.'

A percept is a sense or impression of an object. The word visual in front of the word percept should give you a birds eye view of what I am talking about.

I am now starting to believe you Warren. You are terrible at putting into words, an explanation of anything without the use of mathematical equations. I'm sorry I brought it up. You best keep this part of your life a secret.

That's quite a double standard you have there -- it's my fault that quantum mechanics is extraordinarily difficult to express in English, while it's entirely okay that you refuse to learn math. I have to struggle to use language you can understand, but it's not okay for me to suggest you learn a better language?

Well Warren - If you have ever received a government check. I have every right to expect you to struggle to use language I understand, and yes Warren it's not ok for you to suggest that I go learn the math. But it's ok Warren - I have come to understand that you are a dunce when it comes to putting in simple english...the overall gist of the equations you hold so deeply to your chest.

Last edited by a moderator: