What are employers going to want to see?

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
In summary: If you want to graduate, you need to take all the good courses you can. In summary, a good idea would be to ask a professor to do an independent study, and work on a project all semester.
kdinser
When you go to apply for a job in the engineering field, what school documents is the employer likely to ask to see as far as transcripts and such go?

The reason I ask is, I'm currently enrolled in a small public school in an EE program. The problem is, because I almost had a bio chem degree from another college before I dropped out, I have a ton of transfer credits, virtually all my gen ed credits are fulfilled. This is making it all but impossible to create what I feel is a challenging course load without taking a lot of extra classes that I don't need for my degree. I'm working about 30 hours a week during semesters, more out of boredom then need of money.

So, are employers going to want to see my actual transcripts and look at what kind of course load I took semester to semester? Or are they just going to want to see my GPA?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes taking extra courses that you don't need for your degree is a good thing. For example, I'm taking 3 engineering classes next semester that I don't need to graduate. Having more experience in a certain area is never a bad thing.

A good idea would be to ask a professor to do an independent study, and work on a project all semester. That will give you something to discuss with your employer.

A lot depends on what State you will be working in and what you will be doing. For example, New York requires a licensed engineer review and certify any building plans for facilities that will store and/or process hazardous waste.

I think you should take all the good courses you can, unless you need to work. On the one hand you're worried about not being challenged enough. On the other hand you're worried about doing more than you need to to graduate? If your goal is to be challenged, don't worry about whether you're doing more than the bare minimum.

1. What skills do employers typically look for?

Employers typically look for a combination of technical skills and soft skills. Technical skills are job-specific and can include things like programming languages, statistical analysis, or knowledge of a certain industry. Soft skills are transferable skills that are important in any job, such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork.

2. How important is work experience to employers?

Work experience is very important to employers, as it shows that a candidate has practical knowledge and skills that can be applied to the job. It also demonstrates that the candidate has a strong work ethic and can succeed in a professional setting. However, for entry-level positions, employers may also value relevant coursework or internships in place of work experience.

3. What are some common qualities that employers look for in candidates?

Employers often look for candidates who are motivated, adaptable, and have a positive attitude. They also value candidates who are able to work independently, take initiative, and are willing to learn and grow. Additionally, employers may look for qualities such as attention to detail, time management skills, and the ability to handle pressure and meet deadlines.

4. How important is a college degree to employers?

A college degree is often seen as a minimum requirement for many jobs, especially in fields such as science, technology, engineering, and math. However, some employers may prioritize relevant work experience or skills over a degree. It ultimately depends on the specific job and industry, but having a degree can certainly increase your chances of being considered for a position.

5. What can I do to make myself stand out to employers?

To stand out to employers, it's important to highlight your unique skills and experiences. This can include any relevant coursework, internships, or projects you have completed. It's also important to tailor your resume and cover letter to each job application, showcasing how your skills and experiences align with the specific job requirements. Networking and building relationships in your desired industry can also help you stand out to employers.