Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are engineers like?

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    What do you guys think engineers are like in personality,politics,etc
    what do you think is most attrative to future engineers about the engineering field? What do you think of the nerd sterotype?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Silly question.

What are politicians like? What are doctors like? What are women like?

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Dilbert.com

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

They vary just as the general populace does.

The myth that they are high paying jobs, with the respect of the management above them.

If the slide rule fits...I don't mind it one bit. I never understood how the idea that if someone is considered "smart" it is taken as an insult.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a silly question. Do you mind answering it to me, please?.

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Honestly Clausius, if I could, I would..!

8. Apr 10, 2005 #7
    Engineers come with the full range of variations in personality, politics, attitudes, etc, as is found in the general population. But having said that, there are certain general trends that are evident. Engineers are more likely be politically conservative than say, sociologists or journalists, since they tend to place emphasis on what's been proven to work, as opposed to what might be theoretically possible. They tend to be more interested in creating something that works, than in fully figuring out the underlying principles, as would, say, a physicist. Of course, engineers, like scientists, must be highly logical in there thinking, as opposed to what's required of artists, musicians, advertising executives, etc. And engineers as a group are considerably more honorable, ethical, and decent, than lawyers...;)

9. Apr 10, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

99.5% of engineers are 5'11" tall, weigh 150 pounds and drive geo-metros. They also enjoy playing X-box on saturdays between 9-3am. They also have black hair.

10. Apr 10, 2005 #9

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Engineers are people too.

11. Apr 10, 2005 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Engineers are just about the most pleasant and agreeable creatures you could hope to meet - salt of the earth type. I have some beach front property for sale too... I think it would be safe to say that engineers are curious by nature. They desire to know how things work interactively, not so much why as would a physicist. Engineers need breadth, as opposed to depth of knowledge. Your typical mechanical engineer [which is my species], needs a solid understanding of mechanics, chemistry, electromagnetism, material science, statistics, metrology, ergonomics, economics, etc. Most engineers have a very practical approach to problem solving. A good engineer considers many factors before suggesting a design or process. How does this translate into personality? Engineers tend to form more detailed and carefully considered opinions. But, of course, if you get them out of their elements of expertise, they can be just as guilable as anyone else.

12. Apr 11, 2005 #11
    I agree! As they say, "Great minds think alike"...

13. Apr 11, 2005 #12
    I'm dating one right now, and hes funny and fun to be with. Hes a very stable and honest person{so far anyways}, who enjoys travel, animals, cooking and all kinds of music. And he knows how to leave work AT work.

14. Apr 11, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to agree that I've always had really good experiences in my relationships with engineers. There is no single, stereotypical engineer, but then again, it does seem that people who are attracted to engineering have certain traits in common. I can't overly generalize, but can share what those I know well have in common. They are very direct people; don't expect them to beat around the bush or to worry about being PC, they're going to tell it like it is. When younger, they have a tendency to be overly literal about things and to over-analyze everything, but as they get older, they mellow. They enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems, but also enjoy getting out in the field and getting their hands dirty to apply their knowledge to real world situations.

(And the men have a tendency to dress in khaki pants and tucked-in polo shirts. :biggrin: :tongue2:)

Generally, I think they are pretty well-grounded people who are attracted to a field with obvious applications; they aren't content with just theory.

Now the engineers can speak up and tell me if I have them pegged or not.

(Oh, and certain biologists find themselves hopelessly attracted to engineers...not sure if that's a selling point for engineering or not...:tongue2: :rolleyes:)

15. Apr 11, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always thought they tasted kinda like chicken.

16. Apr 12, 2005 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You've been going out with those free range engineers?

17. Apr 12, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Depends on the engineer's specialty I'd say

I think Chemical Engineers are more into money making aspect, while Mechanical Engineers just like a lot of things, and nothing in particular. Electrical Engineers are mostly into computers or calculators or anything they can get their hands on and then make it their little slave.

I have yet to explore and understand world of Bioengineering - personally I think its a fascinating area to go into, and I'm not sure about the people but their mindset is somewhere between becoming a medical doctor and a biologist, but also a heavy duty mix of engineering problem solving.

18. Apr 12, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well..hmm.. I guess the software engineers I've dated weren't free range.
    They usually keep them penned up in cubicles like veal.

19. Apr 12, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: The civil engineers are the free range ones.

20. Apr 12, 2005 #19
    This really isn't a bad question.

Engineers should have an inquisitive nature. Not just in wondering how things work, but asking themselves, "Okay, what could cause this to not work?" Then they would not be satisfied with the first answer, but ask themselves, "What else could cause this to not work?"

When you ask an engineer an engineering question, a good engineer will ask you if you want the best way, the cheapest way, the way that you should design the job, or the way he believes that the contractor is going to do it?

They ae problem solvers, but it makes them look like they are causing problems because they point them out in an effort to eliminate as many possibilities of failure as possible.

Engineers can be daring, but they know the risks. Or Engineers can be cautious to the point of infuriating others.

Just a few aspects of some that i know.

21. Apr 12, 2005 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

Living next to NASA I dated a ton of Aerospace Engineers. I think for 10 years the only guys I met were engineers. My dad was an engineer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?