Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are gradients?

  1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    Just a simple wondering here, the calculator that comes with Windows XP (and other versions) have three choices for trigonometry, degrees, radians, and gradients. I have never heard of this last one, what is it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    It's a gradian-- a unit of angle such that the angle of a full circle is 400 gradians.
  4. Apr 4, 2007 #3

    Gib Z

    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    [tex] 180 \mbox{degrees} = 200 \mbox{gradients} = \pi \mbox{radians} = \mbox{Angle of a Straight Line}[/tex]
  5. Apr 4, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I think the real point is that 90 degrees= [itex]\pi/2[/itex] radians= 100 gradians. "1 grad" is 1 % of "straight up" and grads are typically used by highway engineers to measure slopes.

    It is unfortunate that both "gradian" and "gradient" are abbreviated "grad"!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook