What Are Introns? Understanding Their Role in Gene Expression

• Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
In summary, introns are regions of a gene that do not encode for part of the protein, and are instead “spliced out” of the mRNA before it is translated to protein. They hold more space than exons, and are found in 26% of the genome.
Eagle9
Good day! :oldsmile:

I have read this interesting blog:
https://thehumanevolutionblog.com/2...ourney-through-the-dark-matter-of-the-genome/
There is explained what are introns (of course I knew the meaning of this term but I intentionally copied the following explanation from this blog):
Introns – the regions within a gene that do not encode for part of the protein and are instead “spliced out” of the mRNA before it is translated to protein.
Image from Wikipedia:
YASuUjD.png

So, introns are part of mRNA, or gene(s) itself located in DNA, this is clear. The genes make up only 2-3 % of the whole DNA, so introns (or their predecessors) are located in this 2-3 %, right?
But this blog has got such image:
cuLLDDZ.jpg

What do they mean? 26 % of whole genome belongs to the introns that (if I understood correctly) are part of 2-3 % of the same whole genome? Or maybe I misunderstood something? :oldeyes:

Attachments

• YASuUjD.png
    YASuUjD.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 639
  • cuLLDDZ.jpg
    cuLLDDZ.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 717
Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
The 2% protein-coding genes refers only to the exons in genes (as only exons code for protein).

Ygggdrasil said:
The 2% protein-coding genes refers only to the exons in genes
So, the introns hold 13 times (26/2=13) more space (I mean nucleotide numbers in DNA) than exons? :oldeyes:

Eagle9 said:
So, the introns hold 13 times (26/2=13) more space (I mean nucleotide numbers in DNA) than exons? :oldeyes:
Yup, that is correct. For example, here's a diagram showing the exons (thick bars) and introns (thin bars) for the various splicing variants of a fairly typical gene, GAPDH (encoding the glycolytic enzyme, glyceradehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase):
Capture.PNG

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/2597

As you can see, there is much more intronic, non-coding sequence in the gene than exonic, protein-coding sequence. Furthermore, of the exons, only the parts colored in dark green actually code for protein. The exonic regions in light green at the beginning and end of the transcripts encode the 5' and 3' untranslated regions of the mRNA, which do not get translated into protein.

Weird, right?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 503
Likes pinball1970
Ygggdrasil said:
Yup, that is correct. For example, here's a diagram showing the exons (thick bars) and introns (thin bars) for the various splicing variants of a fairly typical gene, GAPDH (encoding the glycolytic enzyme, glyceradehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase):
capture-png.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/2597

As you can see, there is much more intronic, non-coding sequence in the gene than exonic, protein-coding sequence. Furthermore, of the exons, only the parts colored in dark green actually code for protein. The exonic regions in light green at the beginning and end of the transcripts encode the 5' and 3' untranslated regions of the mRNA, which do not get translated into protein.
Thanks a lot :oldsmile:

Ygggdrasil said:
Weird, right?
Yes, weird and complex :oldeyes:

Attachments

• capture-png.png
    capture-png.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 463

What Are Introns?

Introns are sections of DNA that do not code for proteins. They are found in between coding sequences, also known as exons, in the genes of eukaryotic organisms.

Why Do Introns Exist?

The purpose of introns is still not fully understood, but they may play a role in gene regulation, alternative splicing, and evolution.

How Do Introns Differ from Exons?

Introns are non-coding sequences, while exons are coding sequences. Introns are typically longer than exons and may contain repetitive or non-functional DNA.

Are Introns Present in All Organisms?

Introns are found in the genomes of eukaryotic organisms, including plants, animals, and fungi. They are not present in prokaryotic organisms such as bacteria.

Can Introns Be Mutated or Deleted?

Yes, introns can be mutated or deleted through various genetic mechanisms. This can lead to changes in gene expression and potentially impact an organism's traits and functions.