1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are Level Surfaces

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

f(x,y,z,)=(x-2)2+y2+z2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi M.Qayyum! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I assume you want the surfaces with f(x,y,z) = constant?

Hint: that looks pretty much like a sphere, doesn't it? :wink:

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3
    First of all thanks for welcome...
    and thanks for your time...But i want to know, how to solve these questions, plz explain little more.
    (New to Calculus-Sorry for my Bad English)

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4
    What is the problem statement? You can't be just given an equation and asked to solve it. Your question is too ambiguous.

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In order to solve a problem, you have to have a problem! So far, you just have function! What is the problem? If it is "describe the level surfaces" of a given function, set the function equal to a constant and try to determine what the graph of that equation looks like.

f(x,y,z)= c is one equation in three variables, x, y, and z. Given values for two of those, you could (theoretically) solve for the third. So the figure is a two dimensional figure- a surface. The term "level surface" comes from the lower dimensional case: the graph of z= f(x,y) is itself a surface. If we look at f(x,y)= c, we get a one-dimensional graph, the "level curve" since every point is at the "z= c" level of the original graph.

7. Aug 23, 2009 #6
    Thanks for your help,that's what i was looking for...
    (New to Calculus-Sorry For my Bad English)

8. Aug 23, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your English is very good- in fact, excellent compared to my (put pretty much any language here)!

9. Aug 23, 2009 #8
    it's 7 A.M in Pakistan...(Sorry for my Timing as well...ha ha ha)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook