Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are muscle spasms and how do you make them go away?

1. Mar 4, 2005 #1
    What are muscle spasms and how do you make them go away?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Muscle spasms are involuntary contractions of a muscle. A muscle cramp is also considered a muscle spasm.
    By the title of your post, you also say twitch A twitch is a form of muscle spasm but much smaller.

I have had a muscle twitch in my eylid on occasion.
    The following online ref, has a good discussion of this kind of spasm.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000756.htm

"The most common things that make the muscle in your eyelid twitch are fatigue, stress, and caffeine. Once spasms begin, they may continue off and on for a few days. Then, they disappear. Most people experience this type of eyelid twitch on occasion and find it very annoying. In most cases, you won't even notice when the twitch has stopped."

They said the most common things to cause this are fatigue, stress and caffeine.. I used to get them right before exams, and i am certain all three of these factors were affecting me :biggrin: After exams were over, they went away.

The other form of muscle spasm is a cramp (in the leg often called a charley horse). A spasm can occur from injury and also by strenuous exercise without rehydrating your body. I have gotten those kind after vigorous exercise of muscles i haven't used in a while.

I was taught, the way to make them go away is to stretch the muscle, also messaging the muscle and drink plenty of water (preferably with electrolytes)..

Here is one page that gives a good description of this type of spasm and how to make them go away:
    http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_musspasm_sma.htm

4. Mar 5, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Electrical misfires. Ions accumulate locally and trigger involuntary muscle contractions.

5. Mar 5, 2005 #4
    What makes them painful? All that stuff makes sense, but why are they painful sometime? Especially in the larges muscle groups...like back muscles and leg muscles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?