What are the career options for a Masters in Information Technology graduate?

• Thread starter FizixFreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary: It seems like a good option to learn other things but from that do you mean to get a degree or learn it by other means?Just note that burnout employers do exist, but that you should avoid them if you want to preserve your sanity. I can and I have done work under those conditions, but only for a short period of time.
FizixFreak
All right if this thread doesn't get any replies i will staple my head to a wall:grumpy:

I have started my masters in information technology and i was wondering whether my only option as a career would be only programming/software engineering and from what i have heard these jobs require some 100 hours per week(or somewhere around it) and you'll have to work on weekends on some occasions although i like these fields but i can't possibly survive while working like this, so i thought i would be good to know what are my other career options i am posting link of the course outline of the program offered by my university(for the third time).

Another thing i must mention is the fact that i am from PAKISTAN..., and i know that the nature of such jobs might be a little different in different countries so i just wanted to mention my nationality as well.

Anyways here is the course content...,waiting for a quick reply

http://www.pucit.edu.pk/index.php/academics/academic-programs/msc-it

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My reply isn't quick. Sorry.

Here is what most of us in the business know: People can program like crazy for 100 hours a week, and then they need to decompress. If the place you go doesn't give you that time off, and average no more than 50 to 60 hours a week, you will burn out very quickly and the quality of your work will suffer greatly.

I've seen the quality of such shops and frankly it amazes me that the code they write isn't worse than it already is.

So what else can you do? Well, you can learn about business, you can learn about management. You can learn about engineering, you can learn about many subjects that you might apply your software to including accounting.

It is never a good idea to learn just one very narrow discipline. Branch out. Learn others. It is the intersection of two fields that usually turns out to be the most lucrative endeavor...

JakeBrodskyPE said:
My reply isn't quick. Sorry.

Here is what most of us in the business know: People can program like crazy for 100 hours a week, and then they need to decompress. If the place you go doesn't give you that time off, and average no more than 50 to 60 hours a week, you will burn out very quickly and the quality of your work will suffer greatly.

I've seen the quality of such shops and frankly it amazes me that the code they write isn't worse than it already is.

So what else can you do? Well, you can learn about business, you can learn about management. You can learn about engineering, you can learn about many subjects that you might apply your software to including accounting.

It is never a good idea to learn just one very narrow discipline. Branch out. Learn others. It is the intersection of two fields that usually turns out to be the most lucrative endeavor...

Thanx for the reply man...,i appreciate it!

So basically what you are saying is that in the field there are is no specified hours per week a programmer may work and average hours per week could be 50,60(which is still a little high for my life style) right? and of course the other thing i want to know is how much cash i would be making after all these long hours:biggrin:?i am not sure if you have checked out the course content but i would really like to know how this content stacks up against other universities on an international level.

It seems like a good option to learn other things but from that do you mean to get a degree or learn it by other means?

Last edited:
Just note that burnout employers do exist, but that you should avoid them if you want to preserve your sanity. I can and I have done work under those conditions, but only for a short period of time.

The course work seems reasonable. The only thing that bothers me is that you're taking a course on object oriented programming in semester 1, and then you take a course on data structures and algorithms in semester 2. I would humbly suggest that you do it the other way around.

As for how courses stack up, there is academia, and then there is the real world. Most couldn't care less how well you do in your courses, they care how well you can apply what you have learned.

Good luck.

Can anyone tell me which subjects from my course content can be a more crucial than other?

What are my options after graduation?

After graduation, you have several options to consider such as pursuing further education, finding a job, or taking a gap year.

What are my options after completing my current research project?

After completing your current research project, you can publish your findings, continue with a new research project, or take a break to recharge and decide on your next steps.

What are my options after obtaining a degree in science?

With a degree in science, you have numerous career options such as working in a research lab, pursuing a career in healthcare, or working in a science-related industry.

What are my options after completing a science internship?

After completing a science internship, you can use the skills and experience gained to apply for jobs or further your education. You can also network with professionals and potentially obtain a job offer.

What are my options after receiving a rejection for a research grant?

If your research grant application is rejected, you can seek feedback and reapply in the future. You can also look for alternative funding sources or consider collaborating with other researchers.