Exploring Neuro-Peptides: What Are They and How Do They Work?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that are involved in the normal firing of neurons. Neuropeptides are a type of neurotransmitter that are short proteins and can act as hormones in addition to being neurotransmitters. Some neuropeptides, such as oxytocin and vasopressin, have specific functions in the body, such as combatting bacteria. However, they are not extensions of the central nervous system and do not play a role in the spread of consciousness throughout the body.
Mentat
What are they? What do they do? How do they work?

Any info on this is appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Do you know what neurotransmitters are? Neuropeptides are peptide neurotransmitters; ie they are very short proteins, made up of a handful or a few dozen of amino acids. They are often released along with a more "standard" neurotransmitter like acetylcholine, GABA, glutamate, serotonin, etc. There are over a hundred neuropeptides known now I think... like Substance P, somatostatin, endorphins, vasopressin, oxytocin, Neuropeptide Y, CRF...

Originally posted by damgo
Do you know what neurotransmitters are? Neuropeptides are peptide neurotransmitters; ie they are very short proteins, made up of a handful or a few dozen of amino acids. They are often released along with a more "standard" neurotransmitter like acetylcholine, GABA, glutamate, serotonin, etc. There are over a hundred neuropeptides known now I think... like Substance P, somatostatin, endorphins, vasopressin, oxytocin, Neuropeptide Y, CRF...

Ok.

I just ask because I have a friend who has been reading a lot about them, and says that they are like extensions of the central nervous system, throughout your entire body (giving commands much like neurotransmitters in the brain). Incidently, my friend has also implied that this means our consciousness is spread throughout our entire body...but that's philosophical issue.

Originally posted by Mentat
Ok.

I just ask because I have a friend who has been reading a lot about them, and says that they are like extensions of the central nervous system, throughout your entire body (giving commands much like neurotransmitters in the brain). Incidently, my friend has also implied that this means our consciousness is spread throughout our entire body...but that's philosophical issue.

As Damgo has pointed out, Neuro-peptides are just very simple neuro-transmitters that are involved in the normal firing of neurons.

As to the contention that consciousness is spread thoughout the body, loosley speaking you could say that it is but only in the sense that the body is necessary for consciousness. The foundation of consciousness is a representation in the brain of the particular state of the body. Without it, consciousness ceases. This isn't a conclusion derived from the function of neuro-peptides but rather from the existence of the human nervous system as a whole and neuro-anatomical studies of the brainstem.

Originally posted by Deslaar
As Damgo has pointed out, Neuro-peptides are just very simple neuro-transmitters that are involved in the normal firing of neurons.

As to the contention that consciousness is spread thoughout the body, loosley speaking you could say that it is but only in the sense that the body is necessary for consciousness. The foundation of consciousness is a representation in the brain of the particular state of the body. Without it, consciousness ceases. This isn't a conclusion derived from the function of neuro-peptides but rather from the existence of the human nervous system as a whole and neuro-anatomical studies of the brainstem.

Good to see ya, Deslaar :smile:. I don't think I've seen any of your posts yet, in the new PFs.

Well, I guess what you said makes sense, but I still don't know what the big hype is about Neuro-peptides, if they are just simple neurotransmitters. What exactly is their function in the body?

>>but I still don't know what the big hype is about Neuro-peptides

I wasn't aware there was a big hype. :) Some neuropeptides, like oxytocin&vasoperessin for example, act as hormones throughout the body in addition to being neurotransmitters..

Originally posted by Mentat
What exactly is their function in the body?

Peptides are anti-bodies embedded in biomembranes, which constitute the protective envelope of all living cells. Their function is to selectively react with specific molecules. The specific molecules are of course the key signature molecules of bacteria or drugs.

Antimicrobial peptides combat invading bacteria. Cationic amphiphilic peptides bind to bacterial membranes and cause their disintegration.

I only know this because peptides in the context of nanotechnology and biophysics was the topic of last weeks physics seminar here.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by eNtRopY
Peptides are anti-bodies embedded in biomembranes, which constitute the protective envelope of all living cells. Their function is to selectively react with specific molecules. The specific molecules are of course the key signature molecules of bacteria or drugs.

Antimicrobial peptides combat invading bacteria. Cationic amphiphilic peptides bind to bacterial membranes and cause their disintegration.

I only know this because peptides in the context of nanotechnology and biophysics was the topic of last weeks physics seminar here.

eNtRopY

Thanks for the input, eNtRopY! :smile:

1. What are neuro-peptides?

Neuro-peptides are small protein-like molecules that are produced in the nervous system and play a role in transmitting signals between neurons. They are composed of a chain of amino acids and are involved in a variety of physiological functions, including pain perception, mood regulation, and immune response.

2. How do neuro-peptides work?

Neuro-peptides work by binding to specific receptors on neurons, which triggers a cascade of biochemical reactions that ultimately lead to a specific physiological response. The binding of neuro-peptides to receptors can either excite or inhibit the activity of neurons, depending on the type of neuro-peptide and receptor involved.

3. What are the functions of neuro-peptides?

Neuro-peptides have a wide range of functions in the body, including regulating pain perception, mood, memory, appetite, and stress response. They also play a role in the immune system, helping to fight off infections and diseases.

4. Can neuro-peptides be synthesized?

Yes, neuro-peptides can be synthesized in a laboratory setting. This is often done for research purposes to study the effects of specific neuro-peptides on the body or to develop new medications that target neuro-peptide receptors.

5. How are neuro-peptides related to neurodegenerative diseases?

Some neuro-peptides, such as amyloid beta, have been linked to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Excessive accumulation of these peptides in the brain can lead to the formation of plaques and disrupt normal brain function, contributing to the development of these diseases.