PC BOTS: What Are They & What Uses Do They Have?

• Thread starter sheldon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, a bot, short for robot, is a computer program that can perform tasks without human control. These bots can be installed and run without the user's knowledge, such as in the case of spyware that collects browsing data. It is important to be cautious of these programs, as they can be used for malicious purposes, like market research or scamming. Some may refer to these programs as bots, but a more accurate term would be spyware or malicious software.
sheldon
what are BOTS, my computer was locking up a lot, I was doing some research and found a spybot program that found some parasites on my computer, I zapped them and I am fine now. I found this interesting that I couldn't find them otherwise and was curious what uses they had and are there good ones to keep etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically a bot (robot) is like an autonomous computer program performing human like tasks without the need for you to control it, sometimes bots are installed and run without your knowledge, like the spyware bot that you were infected with was probably autonomously sending market research data of your browsing habits to some master computer.

EDIT: Bot is a very lose term I think a better description of the parasite software found on your machine is spyware, and I would just call the removal program software.

Last edited:
hmmmm evil man. Its kinda like big bretheran.

its those fake blondes in the chat rooms that like to tease you for money.
Big
Ol
Teases
=
BOT

Dx

1. What are PC BOTS?

PC BOTS, also known as computer bots or simply bots, are software programs that perform automated tasks on a computer or over the internet. They are designed to mimic human behavior and can perform a wide range of tasks, from simple repetitive actions to complex tasks.

2. What are the uses of PC BOTS?

PC BOTS have a variety of uses, including web crawling, data scraping, spam detection, and customer service. They are also used for automating tasks such as filling out forms, making online purchases, and managing social media accounts.

3. How do PC BOTS work?

PC BOTS work by using algorithms and scripts to interact with websites or software applications. They can be programmed to browse web pages, extract data, and perform actions based on pre-defined rules or commands.

4. Are PC BOTS legal?

The legality of PC BOTS depends on their intended use. Bots used for malicious purposes, such as hacking or spreading spam, are illegal. However, bots used for legitimate purposes, such as data mining or improving efficiency, are generally considered legal.

5. How are PC BOTS different from viruses or malware?

Unlike viruses or malware, PC BOTS are not inherently harmful. They are designed to perform specific tasks and do not replicate themselves or cause damage to a computer system. However, they can be used for malicious purposes if programmed to do so by their creators.