Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are reflectance spectra and synchronous spectra?

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1
    What are reflectance spectra and synchronous spectra? What are the difference and which information I can obtain from them ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums dmaya!

Please be sure to read our guidelines; I notice that you've posted this same in another section - I'll be locking that.

4. Dec 19, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this thread will fare better in Biology or Chemistry. As far as I'm aware, both reflectance as well as synchronous fluorescence spectra are used most commonly, to study plant and animal tissue.

Reflectance spectra simply record the intensity vs. wavelength data (normalized with respect to the source) for the light reflected off some material. Typically, such spectra tell you things about chromatin or haemoglobin concentrations...but a biologist might be able to answer this better.

I think synchronous spectra involve a scanning/rastering measurement that gives fluorescence data as a function of position. This is just a vague recollection, so I repeat that this thread might be better served if moved to Biology or Chemistry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?