1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are ring exchanges ?

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Hello condensed matter gurus out there,

I'm a new graduate student who's been trying to understand some sentences in a review article that reads:
    -----
    ... One of Feynman's early successes with path integrals is often neglected, his mapping with path integrals of a quantum system onto a classical model of interacting "polymers." The polymers are ring exchanges of bosons in imaginary time. ...
    -----
    Now I have no clue what "ring exchanges" are... can anyone briefly explain it to me or point me to a reference? Google wasn't too helpful when I fed it ring, exchange, interaction, etc.
    Thanks in advance.

PS. by the way, this article is Rev.Mod.Phys., v67 p279 by D.M. Ceperley

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ceperley has written some papers on (super)solid He, where he talks about ring exchanges. I think the idea, (from a talk he gave here some years ago, so my recollection is foggy) at least in that context, is that if you have a model based on a lattice, then the partition function of an N-particle system (living in this lattice) can be written as a sum over various arrangements of particle positions. These positions can be permuted about in N! ways, and I think, each permutation can be represented as a sum of "ring exchanges" - where you move one particle to a nearest-neighbor site, that one to one of its nearest neighbors, and so on, till the n'th particle is moved into the site vacated by the first particle.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?