What are "Robots Online Now"?

• Thread starter alw34
  • Start date
I happened to notice MEMBERS ONLINE NOW and see there were also 143 robots listed.

What are they doing snooping around here? Who let them in? Is this the beginning of the end? Are they from the NSA?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
:woot:

Among other tasks, robots scan websites for content consumed by the likes of Google.
Without them the Webernet would not work.

Oh good grief.
Worse than I feared.
Do I have to change from my Jammies to pants?
Sheeeesh.

russ_watters
Mentor
Have you seen Iron Man II (it was on last night here...)? You see, when Hammer Industries went belly-up after that unfortunateness at the Stark Expo, their patents for the Hammer Drone became indefensible. PF Labs in Palo Alto has been adapting them for forum auditing, so you'll often see them pop-in while beta testing. But don't worry, they don't have any authority at this time.

Likes phinds
Have you seen Iron Man II (it was on last night here...)?
:DD Haha! Is this real?

russ_watters
Mentor
:DD Haha! Is this real?
Due to confidentiality agreements, I am not at liberty to confirm or deny the existence of the PF Labs Spammer Drone.

Likes Sophia, davenn and Psinter
berkeman
Mentor
there were also 143 robots listed.
How do you think the Mentors get all that Mentoring done? Without my 'bots, I would be way behind... :cool:

Likes Sophia, davenn and dlgoff
They used to be called web crawlers in the early days, they aren't something new and spooky.
Mostly they're just search engine agents looking for content.
I'm pretty sure website admins can elect to make their site inacessable to selected or to all bots, but usually it's not in their interest to make the site invisible on search engines.

Last edited:
I happened to notice MEMBERS ONLINE NOW and see there were also 143 robots listed.

What are they doing snooping around here? Who let them in? Is this the beginning of the end? Are they from the NSA?
My Google+ account has 30,000 views. Google coerced me into opening that account and I've made it as unwelcoming as I could. Must be robots.

OCR
Haha! Is this real?
Only when you're looking ... lol

Likes Psinter
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Due to confidentiality agreements, I am not at liberty to confirm or deny the existence of the PF Labs Spammer Drone.
A Spammeroid Attack just doesn't have the same ring to it though. :oldtongue:

Likes russ_watters
I'm pretty sure website admins can elect to make their site inacessable to selected or to all bots, but usually it's not in their interest to make the site invisible on search engines.
So what we gain from these robot snoops? For example, if they count how many users open advertisements in the forums and the forums can thereby sell ads, all well and good, I guess. Can we snoop on the snoopers...identify who is snooping?

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So what we gain from these robot snoops? For example, if they count how many users open advertisements in the forums and the forums can thereby sell ads, all well and good, I guess. Can we snoop on the snoopers...identify who is snooping?
The robots don't see what you are doing - they see what pages are available on the web site in order to provide links to those pages in search results.

User-specific advertisements are generally handled by cookies that track what you look at and click on. Robots have nothing to do with the ads in this respect.

Last edited:
Likes alw34
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So what we gain from these robot snoops?
The internet would not work (well) without them.
When you Google or Bing or whatever, the results that come up are compiled by programs that use the findings of the bots.

So what we gain from these robot snoops?
They are just web crawlers that index new content into search engines. Their number and even existence is really not important to anyone but administration.

The robots don't see what you are doing
Their number and even existence is really not important to anyone but administration.
yeah, right.

Now I am even more worried.

That's too much like
"We're from the government and are here to help you." or
"We respect your e-mail address."
When has THAT ever happened!!

Worried about what exactly? Sorry I think you are being paranoid over nothing. How do you expect search engines to function?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
yeah, right.
To be clear, your online activities ARE being monitored. It's just that it's not the robots.

Try this: do a search for, say, telescopes. Now go on to Facebook. Notice some of the ads are now for telescopes.

This is done via cookies, as Borg pointed out in post 13.

Robots look at website content, not at users.
Websites (and browsers) look at user activity.

yeah, right.

That's too much like
"We're from the government and are here to help you." or
"We respect your e-mail address."
When has THAT ever happened!!
The bots are only interested in indexing publicly posted content on websites so it can appear in search results.,
User's email and other details they might have put in their profile are of no value to search engines.
Generally as well, the bots can only see what any guest visitor (not logged in) can see.
Anyone who might be doing something of interest to the CIA etc, will not be posting about it on a publicly open forum.

Last edited:
They are just web crawlers....
Those are the thingys my wife makes me stalk, capture,kill, and flush.

Sorry I think you are being paranoid over nothing.
Maybe you could use a better quality wine.
Check out Wine Spectators 2015 TOP 100.