Help with IB Extended Essay Physics Experiment Ideas

In summary, the conversation is about finding inspiration for an experiment to be conducted as part of the IB Extended Essay in classical physics. Some suggestions include building a sextant to compare position data with a cellphone GPS, constructing a mechanical clock and testing its accuracy, creating an accelerometer to measure acceleration of cars, or conducting tests on springs made with different materials to compare with initial calculations.
utp9
TL;DR Summary
Need help with ideas for an experiment for my investigation for an essay and need some advice on any experiments that have abundant background theory & info available online

E.g. pendulums & harmonic motion, slippage down an inclined plane, etc.
I'm having trouble coming up with a experiment to investigate for my IB Extended Essay as well as formulating my research question. Does anyone have any recommendations on similar (in terms of classical physics & abundance of background theory) physics experiments that can be done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide the details of the assignment?

russ_watters said:
Can you provide the details of the assignment?
Sure!

"The IB Extended Essay, or EE, is a mini-thesis, you will choose a research question as a topic, conduct the research independently, then write an essay on your findings. The essay itself is (maximum) 4000 words."

I'm doing mine in classical physics and looking for some inspiration for an experiment to base mine around.

utp9 said:
I'm doing mine in classical physics and looking for some inspiration for an experiment to base mine around.
  • Build your own sextant and compare your position data gathered by using it versus your cellphone GPS location
  • Build your own mechanical clock, powered either by a spring or by weights (like a grandfather clock). Experimentally determine the accuracy of your clock and suggest improvements that could be made
  • Build your own accelerometer, and make measurements of the acceleration of several different cars (and convert those measurements into dynomometer-type plots of horsepower vs. RPM)
  • Wind your own springs with different materials, and conduct tests to correlate your initial calculations for their characteristics versus how they actually turned out. See this post by @jrmichler for example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-shape-and-heat-treat-diy.994837/post-6406851

1603201415417.png

1603201701042.png

Likes anorlunda, jrmichler and vanhees71

1. What is an IB Extended Essay in Physics?

An IB Extended Essay in Physics is a research paper that students in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program must complete in order to earn their diploma. It is an independent, self-directed piece of work that allows students to investigate a topic of their choice related to physics and demonstrate their understanding of scientific principles and research methods.

2. How do I choose a topic for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The first step in choosing a topic for your IB Extended Essay in Physics is to identify an area of interest within the subject. You can then brainstorm potential research questions and consult with your teacher or supervisor for feedback and guidance. It is important to choose a topic that is specific, manageable, and has enough available resources for research.

3. Can I conduct an experiment for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Yes, you can conduct an experiment for your IB Extended Essay in Physics. In fact, many students choose to do so as it allows them to apply scientific principles and collect their own data. However, it is important to keep in mind that the experiment must be feasible and follow ethical guidelines. Additionally, you must have a clear research question and hypothesis for your experiment.

4. What are some ideas for IB Extended Essay experiments in Physics?

Some potential ideas for IB Extended Essay experiments in Physics could include investigating the relationship between temperature and the viscosity of a liquid, analyzing the effect of different materials on the efficiency of solar panels, or examining the impact of varying angles on the trajectory of a projectile. It is important to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and is feasible to conduct within the given time and resources.

5. How do I structure my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The structure of your IB Extended Essay in Physics should follow a typical scientific research paper format, including an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is important to clearly state your research question, hypothesis, and methodology, and to support your findings with evidence and analysis. Additionally, make sure to follow the IB guidelines and include all necessary components, such as an abstract, table of contents, and references.