What are some great geek getaways?

• Thread starter Descartes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary: The resonating theme is that there's simply more things to do in the west :). This isn't surprising considering I'm marooned in the central southwest.
Descartes
I really need vacation, and I'd like to go somewhere that has the most edifying potential. European vacations are great (I'm in the US), but they are so at a considerably high cost; also, I'd really like to get away from the pace of my normal life.

I was thinking of something like New Mexico Skies for the following reasons: It has edifying potential (worthwhile observations, ccd imaging, etc.), it's relatively secluded (relaxing), and it's relatively inexpensive (I could go there a few times per year).

Any other ideas for getaways that satiate the geeks in us? Anything that doesn't include a morning trip to Starbucks and traffic is great, but I want to learn something new.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i would most certainly recommend the US Virgin Islands. Best vacation i ever had was there and I've been to many tropical places.

Apart from being a great city to visit, San Francisco has the Exploratorium, as well as the nearby http://www.lbl.gov/Community/tours.html . A beautiful three hour drive down the coast on Pacific Coast Highway will also get you to the incredible Monterey Bay Aquarium. (Be sure to stop at the farmstands along the road for fresh fuit, picked that day, to take on the drive.)

Last edited by a moderator:
come to portland, oregon we have one of the biggest and best bookstores in the country

Powell's

we also have one of the best parks systems in the country to read all your new books, and have one of the largest parks within a city limit (Forest Park)

truly, portland is a great nerdy place to be

Thanks for all the suggestions. The resonating theme is that there's simply more things to do in the west :). This isn't surprising considering I'm marooned in the central southwest.

I've actually long wanted to live in Portland; one of my top choices along with Seattle and the surrounding areas.

1. What is a "geek getaway"?

A "geek getaway" is a vacation or trip that caters to the interests and hobbies of geeks, such as science, technology, gaming, comics, or fantasy. It is a chance for geeks to immerse themselves in their passions and connect with like-minded individuals.

2. Where can I find some great geek getaways?

There are many websites and travel companies that specialize in organizing geek getaways. Some popular options include Geek Nation Tours, Geeky Getaways, and Nerd Adventure Club. You can also do some research online to find specific destinations that offer activities and events for geeks.

3. What are some activities typically included in a geek getaway?

Geek getaways often include a variety of activities that cater to the interests of geeks. These may include visits to science museums, tech companies, gaming conventions, comic book stores, film locations of popular sci-fi or fantasy movies, and more. Some may also offer special workshops or classes related to geeky topics.

4. Are geek getaways suitable for families?

Yes, many geek getaways are designed to be family-friendly and offer activities for both adults and children. Some may even have specific programs or events for kids, such as science camps or cosplay workshops. However, it is always best to check with the specific company or destination to ensure it is appropriate for your family.

5. How do I prepare for a geek getaway?

It is important to do some research beforehand to determine the specific activities and events offered on your geek getaway. This will help you pack appropriately and plan your budget. It is also a good idea to bring any necessary equipment or materials for your chosen activities. Finally, be sure to have an open mind and be ready to have fun and make new geeky connections!