Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are tags

Tags:
  1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    I'm an old fart new to this new fangled computer thing. Could someone tell me what the "Tags" at the bottom of create thread page is used for? thx

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Tags are used for searching. I tried finding where in the advanced search you can look for them but I didn't see it.

Edit: By clicking on a Tag, you can see all the other threads that have that tag. You can also subscribe to a tag type so that you get an alert when someone creates a new thread with that tag.
    See this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/tags/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. Aug 21, 2015 #3
    Yes, but how does that apply to writing a post, as a mechanic I have to know just what my tools are for, I am unclear what to use tags are for in writing a post.

5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This thread is about tags, so adding a tag "tag" would be a reasonable thing to do.

6. Aug 21, 2015 #5

Borg

Gold Member

They are mainly just a way of marking up a thread for others. They have no impact on the thread.

7. Aug 21, 2015 #6
    "I see", said the blind man, "I'm an analog man living in a digital world" , but I'm learning new stuff every day, thanks for clearing that up.

8. Aug 21, 2015 #7
    Tags help categorize and keyword label threads.

9. Aug 21, 2015 #8

Borg

Gold Member

Also known as Metadata. :oldsmile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook