What are Tags? | New to Computers | Get Answer Here

• Thread starter Madpoet626
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tag tags
In summary, the conversation was about the use of tags on the create thread page. Tags are used for searching and can be clicked on to see other threads with the same tag. They can also be subscribed to for alerts on new threads with that tag. Tags are mainly used for categorizing and keyword labeling of threads. They have no impact on the thread itself and are also known as metadata.
Madpoet626
I'm an old fart new to this new fangled computer thing. Could someone tell me what the "Tags" at the bottom of create thread page is used for? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Tags are used for searching. I tried finding where in the advanced search you can look for them but I didn't see it.

Edit: By clicking on a Tag, you can see all the other threads that have that tag. You can also subscribe to a tag type so that you get an alert when someone creates a new thread with that tag.
See this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/tags/

Last edited:
Likes Madpoet626
Borg said:
Tags are used for searching.
Yes, but how does that apply to writing a post, as a mechanic I have to know just what my tools are for, I am unclear what to use tags are for in writing a post.

This thread is about tags, so adding a tag "tag" would be a reasonable thing to do.

Madpoet626 said:
Yes, but how does that apply to writing a post, as a mechanic I have to know just what my tools are for, I am unclear what to use tags are for in writing a post.
They are mainly just a way of marking up a thread for others. They have no impact on the thread.

Borg said:
They are mainly just a way of marking up a thread for others. They have no impact on the thread.
"I see", said the blind man, "I'm an analog man living in a digital world" , but I'm learning new stuff every day, thanks for clearing that up.

Likes adjacent and Borg
Greg Bernhardt said:
Tags help categorize and keyword label threads.
Also known as Metadata. :oldsmile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are tags used for?

Tags are used to categorize or label content on a website, making it easier to organize and find information.

2. How do tags work?

Tags are usually short words or phrases that are added to a piece of content in the code of a website. When a user clicks on a tag, it will bring up all other content on the website that has been labeled with the same tag.

3. Are tags the same as keywords?

No, tags and keywords are not the same. Keywords are used to optimize a website for search engines, while tags are used for organization and navigation within a website.

4. Do I need to use tags on my website?

While it is not necessary to use tags on a website, they can be helpful for users to easily find and navigate through content. They can also improve the overall organization and structure of a website.

5. How many tags should I use for each piece of content?

It is best to use only a few relevant tags for each piece of content, rather than using too many. This will help keep the website organized and make it easier for users to navigate through the content.