What are the 20 grams a person loses when he dies?

• Thread starter raaaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy and credibility of a movie called "21 grams" which explores the concept of the soul and its relationship to weight. The speakers debate the possibility of measuring the weight of the soul and question the credibility of the movie's portrayal of this idea. They also discuss the limitations of physics in understanding the metaphysical concept of the soul. One speaker expresses their belief that there is no afterlife, while the other suggests that the weight loss in death could be attributed to the collapse of the lungs.
raaaid
Im curious about the movie 21 grams

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just how many people do you suppose have died while laying on a scale senstive enough to make this measurement? How many people have ever measured their weight to this accuracy, and know it to that accuracy at the moment of death so as to be able to detect this change in weight?

I think the answer to both these question is exacly 0.

Why do you think anything that is said in a movie is in the least bit crediable?

i don't know maybe you are right and the soul doesn't have to respond to gravity

maybe that would mean that souls don't have to respond to time either

IMHO
The soul is metaphysical, it is not of the world of measurment. I as a physisist am only able to deal with measurments, with and must have measurements in order to understand the PHYSICAL universe. This is a fundamental restriction which PHYSICS will never overcome. The similarity of the emphasised words in not cooincidental. Physics is the study of the physical universe. The soul, or essence of life, is not measurable, there for not a part of physics.

I suppose when you die, your lungs collapse. This could account for a weight loss as air is expelled from the lungs.
I personally don't believe in God, or a soul. I believe that when your gone, that's it. You've had your chips.

Urine.

1. What are the 20 grams a person loses when he dies?

The 20 grams that a person loses when they die is often referred to as the "21 gram myth" and is based on a study from 1907 that claimed the human soul has a physical weight of 21 grams. However, this study has since been debunked and there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that a person loses a specific amount of weight at the moment of death.

2. Is there any scientific basis for the 20 grams a person loses when they die?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that a person loses a specific amount of weight at the moment of death. The study that popularized this myth has been widely discredited and there is no scientific explanation for why a person would lose 20 grams at the moment of death.

3. What causes a person to lose weight when they die?

When a person dies, their body undergoes a number of physiological changes that can lead to weight loss. These changes include loss of bodily fluids through sweating, urination, and breathing, as well as the relaxation of muscles and release of gases. However, the amount of weight lost varies greatly depending on factors such as the person's size and cause of death.

4. Can the weight loss at the moment of death be attributed to the soul leaving the body?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the concept of a soul or its physical weight. The idea that a person loses 20 grams at the moment of death is based on a study that has been discredited and is not supported by any scientific research.

5. Do all people lose the same amount of weight when they die?

No, the amount of weight a person loses at the moment of death varies greatly depending on factors such as the person's size, cause of death, and the amount of bodily fluids and gases present in their body at the time of death. There is no set amount of weight that all people lose when they die.