What are the 4 dimensions?

• Thread starter brianthewhitie7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the 4 dimensions (3 spatial and 1 time) can be listed in any order and there is no natural order to them. Sub-atomic particles exist in these dimensions and our understanding of them is limited because of their presence in multiple dimensions. While some theories suggest the existence of extra dimensions, there is no hard evidence for them. The labeling of the dimensions is dependent on our chosen coordinates and there is no inherent order to them.
brianthewhitie7
The 4 dimensions are the 3 spatial and the one time but is there any order for which these can be listed?
Also is it possible that the sub-atomic particles exist on another dimesion (such as photons, neutrinos, and etc.)? And this is why we have such a challenging problem understanding the particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
We understand fundamental particles fairly well with our boring 4 dimensions. And so far there's no hard evidence for extra dimensions, although some theories make use of them.

I don't know what you mean by 'is there any order for ... listed'. You can list them in any order you like as long as you remember it.

After all, you know '11 o'clock' is a time and not a street address.

There's three spatial dimensions because you require 3 independent variables to uniquely define a point in space. This doesn't say anything about the layout of those dimensions, ie your choice of basis, and for the most part your basis choice is entirely up to you. There is no 'natural basis' to things, with orthogonal x,y,z vectors pointing in a specific orientation, you have to pick such a thing every time do you a calculation or a modelling scenario.

As such, if you pick your coordinates x,y,z in a certain orientation, someone else can come along and say "I prefer my coordinates as y,z,x in this orientation". Now yours and his are equivalent under a certain transformation and your choices should have no bearing at all on th end result of your calculations (ie no change in the physics). Thus it seems there's no 'order' to the dimensions at all. You can tell there's 3 of them but how you label them throughout space is pretty much up to you (up to the matter of self consistency obviously).

Thank You!

AlphaNumeric said:
There's three spatial dimensions because you require 3 independent variables to uniquely define a point in space.
True, but the points in space are not the same thinh as particles in space (even if they are point particles). Particles move with regards to points in space, so it seems to me we need four variables. No?

Last edited:
Why not allow for 4 spatial dimensions, with one of them what the clock measures, then add time as a fifth non-spatial dimension which gives order to flow of information from past to future ?

MeJennifer said:
Particles move with regards to points in space, so it seems to me we need four variables. No?

Particles do indeed move. That's why the classical phase space for a single particle is 6 dimensional. You need three more variables to specify the momenta in 3 chosen directions.

A friend of mine asked me the same question in which you are wondering, the three spatial dimensions and the additional time dimension do not require to be placed in any particular order, rearrange them as you like, it's just a method of remembering. The three spatial dimensions are more traditional than that of time, so rightly they are usually represented prior to time.

1. What are the 4 dimensions?

The 4 dimensions refer to the four dimensions of space and time that are commonly used in physics and mathematics. These dimensions are length, width, height, and time.

2. How are the 4 dimensions related to each other?

The 4 dimensions are interconnected and cannot exist independently. Time is often considered to be the fourth dimension, as it is a crucial factor in determining the position and movement of objects in the other three dimensions.

3. Are there other dimensions besides the 4 dimensions?

There are theories in physics, such as string theory, that suggest there may be additional dimensions beyond the 4 dimensions we commonly experience. However, these dimensions are not directly observable and are still being studied and debated by scientists.

4. How do scientists study the 4 dimensions?

Scientists use various mathematical models and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, to understand and study the 4 dimensions. They also use advanced technologies and instruments, such as telescopes and particle accelerators, to observe and measure the effects of these dimensions.

5. Can humans experience more than 4 dimensions?

As far as we know, humans can only directly experience the 4 dimensions of length, width, height, and time. However, some theories suggest that our perception of reality may be limited and there could be other dimensions that we are unable to perceive or comprehend.