Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the 6 states of matter?

1. Mar 14, 2004 #1
    wat r the 6 states of matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2004 #2
    liquid/solid/gas = 3??

4. Mar 14, 2004 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

plasma? BEC?? that makes 5.

5. Mar 14, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sixth state of matter: Fermionic condensate

6. Mar 14, 2004 #5
    you've also got that state of matter which i forgot what it is called but neutron stars are made from it...where all atoms strip down to a neutron superfluid

7. Mar 14, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 14, 2004 #7
    sorry but can anyone here explain Bose-Einstein condensate and fermonic condensate to me?
    i read it somewhere it rings a bell but it makes no sense to me :p

9. Mar 14, 2004 #8
    Sorry to barrage with questions, I hope it's not too much trouble. To quote:
    Why would that be possible? Is it just saying that they could levitate by using resistance that didn't lose energy? Or something to that effect?

10. Mar 14, 2004 #9

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

baryon degerate matter.
    Click on the link in Monique's last post; it's a good summary. For further info, google on Bose-Einstein condensate, and chose one of the articles to suit your level.

Seventh: dark matter (may be more than one kind :wink: ).

11. Mar 14, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BEC is a supercooled particles of bosons, which act as a single molecule. The fermionic condensate is made up of the other kind of particles: fermions.

What I don't understand: how do rubidium atoms belong to the bosonic class? I thought fermions are regular particles as we know it and bosons are force-carrying particles?

12. Mar 15, 2004 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its simply a matter of friction. A train that doesn't touch the tracks has only air resistance to worry about.

13. Mar 15, 2004 #12
    I see...I get that part...but I jsut don't get how a superconductor (to my understanding, something that can carry energy close to 100% efficiency) could make something have no friction.

14. Mar 15, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if that superconductor has magnetic properties..

15. Mar 16, 2004 #14
    the train will have no friction because it is not touching the tracks, but floating ABOVE them.

16. Mar 16, 2004 #15
    I understand that it wouldn't have friction, because it would levitate. What in the world would make it levitate? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

PS: Is that you in your pic Monique? Lookin sharp!

17. Mar 16, 2004 #16

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It levitates due to electromagnetic repulsion.

18. Mar 16, 2004 #17

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Bosons are particles that behave according to Bose-Einstein statistics. It turns out that this is equivalent to saying that "bosons are particles with an integer spin" (as opposed to being 1/2, 3/2, etc).

When atoms (which are, in general, fermions) form pairs, they may do so in such a way that their spins are "aligned" and add up to an integer, which makes the system behave as a boson.

19. Mar 16, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is what I found on the web:

I wonder what would happen with someone with a pace-maker if they come close to a maglev (magnetic levitation) train?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?