1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the 6 states of matter?

1. Mar 14, 2004 #1
    wat r the 6 states of matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2004 #2
    liquid/solid/gas = 3??

4. Mar 14, 2004 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

plasma? BEC?? that makes 5.

5. Mar 14, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sixth state of matter: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3441643.stm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  6. Mar 14, 2004 #5
    you've also got that state of matter which i forgot what it is called but neutron stars are made from it...where all atoms strip down to a neutron superfluid

7. Mar 14, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Mar 14, 2004 #7
    sorry but can anyone here explain Bose-Einstein condensate and fermonic condensate to me?
    i read it somewhere it rings a bell but it makes no sense to me :p

9. Mar 14, 2004 #8
    Sorry to barrage with questions, I hope it's not too much trouble. To quote:
    Why would that be possible? Is it just saying that they could levitate by using resistance that didn't lose energy? Or something to that effect?

10. Mar 14, 2004 #9

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

baryon degerate matter.
    Click on the link in Monique's last post; it's a good summary. For further info, google on Bose-Einstein condensate, and chose one of the articles to suit your level.

Seventh: dark matter (may be more than one kind :wink: ).

11. Mar 14, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BEC is a supercooled particles of bosons, which act as a single molecule. The fermionic condensate is made up of the other kind of particles: fermions.

What I don't understand: how do rubidium atoms belong to the bosonic class? I thought fermions are regular particles as we know it and bosons are force-carrying particles?

12. Mar 15, 2004 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its simply a matter of friction. A train that doesn't touch the tracks has only air resistance to worry about.

13. Mar 15, 2004 #12
    I see...I get that part...but I jsut don't get how a superconductor (to my understanding, something that can carry energy close to 100% efficiency) could make something have no friction.

14. Mar 15, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if that superconductor has magnetic properties..

15. Mar 16, 2004 #14
    the train will have no friction because it is not touching the tracks, but floating ABOVE them.

16. Mar 16, 2004 #15
    I understand that it wouldn't have friction, because it would levitate. What in the world would make it levitate? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

PS: Is that you in your pic Monique? Lookin sharp!

17. Mar 16, 2004 #16

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It levitates due to electromagnetic repulsion.

18. Mar 16, 2004 #17

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Bosons are particles that behave according to Bose-Einstein statistics. It turns out that this is equivalent to saying that "bosons are particles with an integer spin" (as opposed to being 1/2, 3/2, etc).

When atoms (which are, in general, fermions) form pairs, they may do so in such a way that their spins are "aligned" and add up to an integer, which makes the system behave as a boson.

19. Mar 16, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is what I found on the http://www.4hv.org/archive/topic.177.html":

I wonder what would happen with someone with a pace-maker if they come close to a maglev (magnetic levitation) train?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook