What is "Z" - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX and MathType for mathematical notation and the possibility of a pair of alphas existing given certain conditions. The question simplifies to whether there exists an alpha in the set of rational numbers such that the sum of its tangent and another alpha's tangent equals pi over three. The conversation also raises the possibility of using arctangent instead of tangent and provides a solution for the problem.
bomba923
I wish I knew LaTex :frown: . But I know MathType!

Does such a pair of alphas exist?? (See the Below Thumbnail/attached image)
"Z" is the set of all integers

Attachments

• alphaprob.gif
    alphaprob.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 512
Mathematics news on Phys.org
LaTeX is really easy to learn, just click on stuff people have wrote and it will show you the code. Check this thread out: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Correct me if I am wrong but your question simplifies down to:

[tex]\text{If} \, \alpha_1 \in \mathbb{Q} \, \, \, \text{does} \, \exists \, \alpha_2 \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

Such that:

[tex]\tan \left( \alpha_1 \right) + \tan \left( \alpha_2 \right) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

I'd guess not but to be honest I have no idea.

Oh and I think the question is wrong otherwise you could always let k=0.

Last edited:
Are we sure that that is supposed to be a tangent and not an arctangent ? I don't know of any "special" identities involving the arctangent of multiples of pi. The term in pi looks more suited to be the argument of the tangent function.

Let [itex]\alpha_1 = 1^c[/itex]

That should solve the problem.

1. What is "Z" in "Z - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored"?

"Z" refers to the set of integers, which includes all whole numbers and their negatives. In mathematics, it is often represented by the symbol "ℤ".

2. What is Alphas in "Z - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored"?

"Alphas" refers to the Greek letter alpha (α), which is commonly used as a variable or constant in mathematical equations and formulas. It can also represent the first letter of the Greek alphabet.

3. What is LaTex in "Z - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored"?

LaTex is a typesetting language used for creating scientific and mathematical documents. It is widely used because of its ability to produce high-quality equations and formulas.

4. What is MathType in "Z - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored"?

MathType is a software application that allows users to create mathematical equations and formulas using a point-and-click interface. It is often used in conjunction with LaTex to produce professional-looking documents.

5. How are Alphas, LaTex, and MathType used in "Z - Alphas, LaTex & MathType Explored"?

These three components are often used together to create and display mathematical equations and formulas in a document. MathType is used to generate the equations, which are then formatted using LaTex and displayed using the Greek letter alpha (α) as a variable.