Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the coordinates of point B?

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    Erm, I have another problem. This question confused me, I'm not sure how to do it. Help would be apprecaited. Thanks
    The midpoint of line QS is the origin. Point Q is located in Quadrant II. What quadrant contains point S?
    Same with this one.
    M(5,12) is the midpoint of line AB. The coordinates of point A are (2,6). What are the coordinates of point B?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2
    Draw a picture. Take a point Q in the second quadrant, and draw a line from Q to the origin. Into which quadrant can you extend the line (so that it is still straight)? Now, which quadrant must S lie in?

4. Sep 6, 2004 #3
    Quadrent 4 I think. Ok, I think I get it. Thanks

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, the midpoint of the line segment from (x0,y0) to (x1,y1) is the "average" of the two: ((x0+x1)/2, (y0+y1)/2).

In this case you are told that the midpoint of the line segment from A:(2,6) to the point B (call its coordinates (x,y)) is (0,0). That is (2+ x)/2= 0 and (6+y)/2= 0. It should be easy to see that B is (-2, -6).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?