Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the five string theories?

1. Oct 29, 2003 #1
    i can not seem to find any good or relevent information on the five different string theories and how they differ from one another. i know of, and to the best of my ability try to understand 'basic' M-theory but am very strapped for info on the other theories and thier specifics. if some one could endulge me i'd be very greatful.[?]
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2003 #2
    Well, actually, M-Theory is the combination/unification of the five string theories (along with the introduction of a sixth string theory), through the use of Duality. A good resource on this is Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe.
  4. Oct 29, 2003 #3
    OK, what ARE the six theories and thier properties? I'd like to recieve as much info as possible so i can better my understanding of M-theory and the unification model.
  5. Oct 29, 2003 #4
  6. Oct 29, 2003 #5
    To speak properly, they are not string theories, but superstring theories. Type I is the only that admits both closed and open strings, while the other 4 (Type IIA, type IIB, heterotic SO(32) and heterotic E8XE8) admit only closed strings. Each of the 5 superstring theories lives in a different background space.Theories related through the T-duality are the two heterotic between them, and the two type II between them. Theories related through the S-duality are Type I with heterotic SO(32), and Type IIB with itself. If you compactify M-theory in a circle (with some additional conditions) you get superstring theory type IIA, and if you compactify M-theory in a line (with some additional conditions)you get heterotic E8XE8
    Heterotic E8XE8 is special in the sense that is the only that postulates the existence of a twin universe of ours called shadow universe or hidden sector. The only interaction permitted between the two universes is the gravitational interaction
    If this is not enough ask for more :wink:
  7. Oct 29, 2003 #6
    good enough:wink:
  8. Oct 30, 2003 #7
    "and?", as I mentioned before, The Elegant Universe is a very good resource for learning about superstring theories. I highly recommend it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?