What are the fundamental physics equations?

In summary: This has been really helpful. In summarizing, the author discusses how understanding mass-gravitation relations is important for understanding physics. He also talks about some equations that describe the strong and weak forces. Finally, he provides some advice on how to get started in physics and gives a recommended textbook.
jhe1984
Howdy all,

I've begun to get started in learning about physics, but am still lightyears removed from any of the mathematical aspects of the science.

Thus I am now looking to move from themes to numbers (and I'm kinda nervous :uhh: lol)

Anyway, here's where I'm heading currently - please help guide my approach to mathematical aspect of physics:

1) Light's relation to mass: Described by General Relativity (? I can never remember which one says what). Also - subjectively - well describe in a Frank Wilczek (http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/204/) [Broken].

2) Mass relation's to Gravity: Newton Equation's, Relativity(?)

3) What equations or mathematical ideas describe the strong and weak forces?

Thanks so much!

JHE

PS - Hope this doesn't look like a HW question

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
E = mc^2 is always a good start:wink: that relates light to mass (sort of)

...try starting with a high school textbook and understand everything in it. Also, don't ignore the problems, they go a long way in helping you get comfortabe with physics and even gaining a deeper understnding. I can't just tell you the "fundamental equations of physics", because that wouldn't make you undersand anything. And even when learning from a textbook, always know where the equations come from. You can move onto stuff like relativity after you master the basics.

Jay-qu said:
E = mc^2 is always a good start:wink: that relates light to mass (sort of)

Most people who have not dealt with Special Relativity may not believe it, but that equation isn't "fundamental" at all. It may be the most famous, but fundamental? No. It was derived from a more fundamental starting point. Besides, if "m" is the rest mass (or proper mass), then that equation is not even the most general since it is only special case (it can't be applied to photons).

Zz.

I agree with Dx, you need to start on the basics in order to develop your physics intuition. Without this intuition, you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to have any meaningful discussions on more advanced topics. (You wouldn't believe the number of people who come on these forums slandering theories that have long been accepted by the scientific community, based on a very limited understanding on what they are talking about).

While it is possible, (and enjoyable) to study physics without equations, in order to fully appreciate and understand the intricacies of our universe, one needs to understand the mathematics.

With regard to fundamental equations - these are equations that cannot be formulated through derivation, they can only be obtained empyrically (by experiment).

Claude.

Gracias, all.

What are the fundamental physics equations?

The fundamental physics equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the basic principles of physics. These equations are used to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

What is the most famous physics equation?

The most famous physics equation is E=mc², also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation. This equation was proposed by Albert Einstein and explains the relationship between mass and energy.

What is the difference between classical and modern physics equations?

Classical physics equations are based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton. They are used to study everyday phenomena and systems at normal speeds and scales. Modern physics equations, on the other hand, are based on the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics and are used to study phenomena at high speeds and small scales.

What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is an essential tool in physics as it provides a precise language for describing and understanding the behavior of physical systems. Physics equations are written using mathematical symbols and formulas to represent the relationships between different physical quantities.

Can anyone understand and use physics equations?

Yes, anyone can understand and use physics equations with the right knowledge and training. While some equations may seem complex, they are based on fundamental principles and can be broken down into simpler concepts. With practice and understanding, anyone can apply physics equations to solve problems and make predictions about the physical world.