Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the fundamental physics equations?

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Howdy all,

I've begun to get started in learning about physics, but am still lightyears removed from any of the mathematical aspects of the science.

Thus I am now looking to move from themes to numbers (and I'm kinda nervous :uhh: lol)

Anyway, here's where I'm heading currently - please help guide my approach to mathematical aspect of physics:

1) Light's relation to mass: Described by General Relativity (? I can never remember which one says what). Also - subjectively - well describe in a Frank Wilczek (http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/204/).

2) Mass relation's to Gravity: Newton Equation's, Relativity(?)

3) What equations or mathematical ideas describe the strong and weak forces?

Thanks so much!

JHE

PS - Hope this doesn't look like a HW question

:rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2
    E = mc^2 is always a good start:wink: that relates light to mass (sort of)

4. Nov 8, 2005 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

...try starting with a high school text book and understand everything in it. Also, dont ignore the problems, they go a long way in helping you get comfortabe with physics and even gaining a deeper understnding. I cant just tell you the "fundamental equations of physics", because that wouldnt make you undersand anything. And even when learning from a text book, always know where the equations come from. You can move onto stuff like relativity after you master the basics.

5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most people who have not dealt with Special Relativity may not believe it, but that equation isn't "fundamental" at all. It may be the most famous, but fundamental? No. It was derived from a more fundamental starting point. Besides, if "m" is the rest mass (or proper mass), then that equation is not even the most general since it is only special case (it can't be applied to photons).

Zz.

6. Nov 8, 2005 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I agree with Dx, you need to start on the basics in order to develop your physics intuition. Without this intuition, you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to have any meaningful discussions on more advanced topics. (You wouldn't believe the number of people who come on these forums slandering theories that have long been accepted by the scientific community, based on a very limited understanding on what they are talking about).

While it is possible, (and enjoyable) to study physics without equations, in order to fully appreciate and understand the intricacies of our universe, one needs to understand the mathematics.

With regard to fundamental equations - these are equations that cannot be formulated through derivation, they can only be obtained empyrically (by experiment).

Claude.

7. Nov 8, 2005 #6
    Gracias, all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?