What are the general parameters for the in-medium light group speed?

In summary, the phase speed of an electromagnetic wave in a medium is determined by the medium's permeability and permittivity, while the group speed depends on the frequency dependence of these parameters. This means that in a medium where the index of refraction is frequency dependent (dispersive), the group and phase velocities will be different. Additionally, in order for a wave to carry a signal, it must have more than one frequency, leading to the formation of groups and a difference in the group and phase velocities. Further insights into the origins of the refractive index can be found in "The Feynman Lectures on Physics."
greswd
An electromagnetic wave has a phase speed and a group speed. Or velocities, for that matter.

In a medium, the phase speed of a wave is generally determined by the medium's permeability μ and permittivity ε.

What are the general parameters that determine the group speed of a wave in a medium?

Physics news on Phys.org
The group velocity depends on how these things change as function of frequency. ##\displaystyle v_g \ = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k}## where ##\omega## is the angular frequency of the wave and ##\displaystyle k = \frac{\omega}{v_p}## with the phase velocity ##v_p##. In general the phase velocity depends on ##\omega##. If it doesn't change in some range then the group velocity is simply equal to the phase velocity.

mfb said:
The group velocity depends on how these things change as function of frequency. ##\displaystyle v_g \ = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k}##

I understand, but I'm wondering what parameters of a medium in general affect this.

The same parameters as for the phase velocity.

mfb said:
so, using both permeability and permittivity, I suppose it'll result in the same speed as the phase speed?

what about in media where both speeds are different?

Last edited:
greswd said:
mfb said:
so, using both permeability and permittivity, I suppose it'll result in the same speed as the phase speed?

what about in media where both speeds are different?
I think the interesting situations are when the speeds differ, and I'd like to learn more about it.
(for a coherent, monochromatic beam)

Last edited:
The group and phase velocity are the same in case the index of refraction of the considered material doesn’t depend on the light frequency. Generally, the permittivity and permeability and thus the index of refraction are frequency dependent in materials (dispersion), giving rise to different group and phase velocities.
Electromagnetism - Lecture 13 Waves in Insulators

Lord Jestocost said:
The group and phase velocity are the same in case the index of refraction of the considered material doesn’t depend on the light frequency. Generally, the permittivity and permeability and thus the index of refraction are frequency dependent in materials (dispersion), giving rise to different group and phase velocities.

thanks, and sorry, I should've clarified, I'm interested in the case of a coherent, monochromatic beam, like that of a laser.

greswd said:
Lord Jestocost said:
thanks, and sorry, I should've clarified, I'm interested in the case of a coherent, monochromatic beam, like that of a laser.

Is it safe to say that for monochromatic waves in a medium, both speeds are always the same?

greswd said:
Is it safe to say that for monochromatic waves in a medium, both speeds are always the same?
No.
greswd said:
No. Check post 2. The group velocity depends on how the phase velocity changes with frequency. This is true even for an essentially monochromatic beam. An idealized monochromatic beam cannot form groups.

mfb said:
An idealized monochromatic beam cannot form groups.

so, for a real-world laser beam, it has a frequency spread, and therefore forms groups as mentioned in #7?

greswd said:

“What the index [of refraction, LJ] tells us is the speed at which the nodes (or crests) of the wave travel. The node of a wave is not a signal by itself. In a perfect wave, which has no modulations of any kind, i.e., which is a steady oscillation, you cannot really say when it “starts,” so you cannot use it for a timing signal. In order to send a signal you have to change the wave somehow, make a notch in it, make it a little bit fatter or thinner. That means that you have to have more than one frequency in the wave, and it can be shown that the speed at which signals travel is not dependent upon the index alone, but upon the way that the index changes with the frequency. This subject we must also delay (until Chapter 48).”

from chapter 31 “The Origin of the Refractive Index” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I”: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_31.html

see also chapter 48 “Beats” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I”: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_48.html

Likes greswd
greswd said:
so, for a real-world laser beam, it has a frequency spread, and therefore forms groups as mentioned in #7?
And therefore can form groups.

Likes greswd
Lord Jestocost said:
“What the index [of refraction, LJ] tells us is the speed at which the nodes (or crests) of the wave travel. The node of a wave is not a signal by itself. In a perfect wave, which has no modulations of any kind, i.e., which is a steady oscillation, you cannot really say when it “starts,” so you cannot use it for a timing signal. In order to send a signal you have to change the wave somehow, make a notch in it, make it a little bit fatter or thinner. That means that you have to have more than one frequency in the wave, and it can be shown that the speed at which signals travel is not dependent upon the index alone, but upon the way that the index changes with the frequency. This subject we must also delay (until Chapter 48).”

from chapter 31 “The Origin of the Refractive Index” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I”: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_31.html

see also chapter 48 “Beats” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I”: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_48.html
Feynman’s lectures are good, however, in explaining the origin of the refractive index, he didn’t show how it relates to permeability and permittivity. Do you have a link which describes the origins in terms of them? Thanks

1. What is the definition of in-medium light group speed?

In-medium light group speed refers to the speed at which a group of light waves travel through a medium, such as a material or substance.

2. How is the in-medium light group speed different from the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, in a medium, the speed of light can be slower due to interactions with the atoms or molecules in the material.

3. What are the factors that affect the in-medium light group speed?

The in-medium light group speed is influenced by the properties of the medium, such as its density, refractive index, and temperature. It can also be affected by the wavelength and polarization of the light waves.

4. How is the in-medium light group speed measured?

The in-medium light group speed can be measured using various techniques, such as interferometry, where the interference patterns of light waves passing through a medium are analyzed. It can also be calculated using the medium's refractive index and the speed of light in a vacuum.

5. What are the applications of understanding in-medium light group speed?

Understanding the in-medium light group speed is important in various fields, such as optics, materials science, and telecommunications. It allows us to manipulate and control the speed of light in different materials, which has practical applications in technologies like fiber optics and lasers.