Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the gods of modern physics?

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    The Big Bang is like the Old Testament creation from the void, or a Brahma day, whose cycle is 4,300,000,000 years. Quantum physics might be likened to the yin-yang duality, a Pandora's box, or the genie in the bottle. The beauty experienced sometimes while studying physics can seem like a religious epiphany.

What gods have you observed arising from physics like the Phoenix these past hundred years? Do you ascribe any spiritual significance or analogy to the processes of the cosmos? If physics itself can be objectified, who or what is the ultimate Physicist?

Joseph Campbell once said of his computer: "Now I am rather an authority on gods, so I identified the machine. It seems to me to be an Old Testament god with a lot of rules and no mercy."
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure that 'gods' is the right word. Physics seems more like a Bhudist approach where there is no god, but only a desire for enlightenment.

I think that there are commandments like the infamous rules of Thermodynamics or Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Similarly, there are 'prophets' like Newton,Einstein and Hawking who are eccentric messengers from the beyond (who are more popularly known than influential figures such as Bohr, Maxwell, or Coulomb.)

There is also a dogmatic belief among physicists that physics explains why things are rather than how they are.
  4. Dec 15, 2004 #3
    Well, if there's somebody that the major part of the people could consider "the" god in physics, then this somebody should be Einstein, because influence, popularity, etc. Spiritual signuficance? Ummm... not sure... But it seems that we humans are always searching happiness, no? In that sense, it strikes me that in most of the pictures Einstein appeared happy, always laughing, somehow like he knew something that the rest of the humanity was ignorant of it
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  5. Dec 15, 2004 #4
    lol, that's about all the old gods I know.
  6. Dec 16, 2004 #5
    I think Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Michio Kaku would definitely be a few. I don't know about any feenixers, but I think those three are probably the best in the last 100 years.

As for the other question, I don't there is an ultimate physics. In fact, I'll go one step further and say that I think it's absolutely ignorant to think there is. It's thousands of years since people began studying physics and there are just as many questions now as there were back then. There was a time when crumbs were thought to be the smallest particles. There's not one shred of evidence to suggest that we are close to a perfect 'physics', or any evidence to even suggest there is one. It defies all history; all logic.
  7. Dec 16, 2004 #6

Maybe the Big Bang would be a Brahma Year, of 360 Brahma Days, resulting in 1,555,200,000,000 years, 1.5552 x 10^12, since a Brahma day is 4,320,000,000 years, not 4,300,000,000 years.
  8. Dec 16, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may sound weird, but "What is Michio Kaku's contribution to physics ?"
  9. Dec 16, 2004 #8
    He invented the time machine
  10. Dec 16, 2004 #9
    From what I understand, he is the co-founder of String Field Theory.
  11. Dec 16, 2004 #10
    just like Al Gore is co-founder of the internet. I agree

actually I have no room to talk. I don't know what Kaku's contributions are and that is one of the first names I think of, when I think. Plus I see his name everytime I get online
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?