What are the intellectually MOST rigorous jobs?

I've read that the brain evolved fast as a result of social interactions. Our ape-like ancestors lived in social groups where being slightly smarter than average gives you a huge advantage.

It turns out that being able to deceive others is the prime reason for this. Experiments with young children have shown that the children who are better at lying score higher on IQ tests and do better at school. So, quite literally, if you can fool others and get away with that, the others really are fools compared to you.
Reference please

So, you would expect that the intellectually most challenging job would be one that requires you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madoff_investment_scandal" [Broken] Academia and other disciplines where there is an inherent purpose to the particular job being done, are potential exceptions to this rule.
I am not sure how you are coming at this conclusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Experiments with young children have shown that the children who are better at lying score higher on IQ tests and do better at school.
Question: does it show that children who are better at lying automatically resort to lying, or employ lies more often than other children?

If I remember correctly, a test was done in which children were given some toy, but that toy was hidden in some box or something. The child was asked not to peek inside. The child was then left alone in the room. After some time, the experimentor comes back, ask the child if he/she has peeked inside. The child knows that if he/she answers "no", he/she will get a reward. Unlnown to the child, all actions of the child can be observed.

The results of these test show that children who are inclined not to stick to the rule and then not confess that they've violated the rule, do better in intelligence tests.

If I remember correctly, a test was done in which children were given some toy, but that toy was hidden in some box or something. The child was asked not to peek inside. The child was then left alone in the room. After some time, the experimentor comes back, ask the child if he/she has peeked inside. The child knows that if he/she answers "no", he/she will get a reward. Unlnown to the child, all actions of the child can be observed.

The results of these test show that children who are inclined not to stick to the rule and then not confess that they've violated the rule, do better in intelligence tests.
It seems to me the conclusion to be drawn is not about "better liars", but about people with disregard for authority.

I don't think there's any job more mentally demanding than being a professor working towards tenure who has to juggle teaching college courses with writing grant proposals and doing state of the art research in a real field of science to publish in peer reviewed journals.

I don't think there's any job more mentally demanding than being a professor working towards tenure who has to juggle teaching college courses with writing grant proposals and doing state of the art research in a real field of science to publish in peer reviewed journals.
:rolleyes:

@general:
This thread is nonsense.
1) It is not possible to compare different jobs in different fields
2) It is not possible to come up with a criteria to find if a particular job is mentally demanding (other than providing opinions) because it largely depends on who is doing the job

IP Owner
Jobs, which require a good set of intelligence and hard work?
Architect? A collection of different sciences, arts.
Let me know what u guys think.
All the best,
IP Owner