Finding Magnitude & Direction of Force & Torque Exerted by B on Coil

In summary: F = ILB \times (0.055T x + 0.210T z) Next, take the magnitude of each component and add them together. F = ILB \times (0.055T x + 0.210T z) + I \times (0.3*0.21, 0, -.3*.055) F = 0.279 N
yjk91

Homework Statement

A coil of wire consisting of 40 rectangular loops, with width 16 cm and height 30 cm, is placed in a constant magnetic field given by
B = 0.055Tx + 0.210T.z
The coil is hinged to a fixed thin rod along the y-axis (along segment da in the figure) and is originally located in the xy-plane. A current of 0.150 A runs through the wire.http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/27-p-051.gifWhat are the magnitude and the direction of force, Fbc, that B exerts on segment bc of the coil?
magnitude Fbc =
direction °
What are the magnitude and the direction of the torque, t, that B exerts on the coil?
magnitude t =

The Attempt at a Solution

i am just lost

i have the formulas but I'm not sure how to find the magnitube for B
hints pleasE?

Physics news on Phys.org

What's the formula for the force of a magnetic field on a current carrying wire of a given length?

F = ILB
yeah but B is in x and z direction so do i just do

0.15 A * 0.3 M * (0.055T x + 0.210T z)

and then do i square x and z then rad it? i tried that but it's not right

yjk91 said:
F = ILB
yeah but B is in x and z direction so do i just do

0.15 A * 0.3 M * (0.055T x + 0.210T z)

and then do i square x and z then rad it? i tried that but it's not right

It's a vector equation:
[tex] \vec{F} = I \; \vec{L} \times \vec{B} [/tex]
In this case you have 40 wires of length 30cm all carrying the same current I, so multiply the result by 40.
[tex] \vec{F} = 40I \; \vec{L} \times \vec{B} [/tex]
You should be able to write vectors for both L and B and perform the cross product (do it manually, it's probably easier). The result will be your force vector.

so

40 * .15 * 0.3 X (0.055x + 0.210z)

using the cross product i get (0.3 * .21, 0 , -.3*.055)
if i add them i get 0.0465

and 40 * .15 * .0465 = .279 N

is this right?

yjk91 said:
so

40 * .15 * 0.3 X (0.055x + 0.210z)

using the cross product i get (0.3 * .21, 0 , -.3*.055)
if i add them i get 0.0465

and 40 * .15 * .0465 = .279 N

is this right?

The cross product yields a vector, so you can't just add the components. You have to take the magnitude of the vector to find the magnitude of the force. First write out all three components of the force vector.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of force exerted by B on a coil?

The magnitude of force exerted by B on a coil can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the coil. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law.

2. What is the direction of the force exerted by B on a coil?

The direction of the force exerted by B on a coil can be determined using the right-hand rule. With your right hand, point your thumb in the direction of the current flowing through the coil, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction that your palm faces is the direction of the force exerted on the coil.

3. How do you find the direction of torque exerted by B on a coil?

The direction of torque exerted by B on a coil can also be determined using the right-hand rule. With your right hand, point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field and your fingers in the direction of the current flowing through the coil. The direction that your palm faces is the direction of the torque exerted on the coil.

4. Can the direction of torque exerted by B on a coil change?

Yes, the direction of torque exerted by B on a coil can change if either the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of the current flowing through the coil changes. This is because torque is a vector quantity and is dependent on the direction of both the magnetic field and the current.

5. Are there any practical applications of finding the magnitude and direction of force and torque on a coil?

Yes, there are many practical applications of finding the magnitude and direction of force and torque on a coil. For example, this information is crucial in designing and operating electric motors, generators, and other electromechanical devices. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which has applications in particle accelerators and other advanced technologies.