What are the maximum masses of White Dwarves and of Neutron stars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum masses of white dwarf stars and neutron stars and the role of the Chandrasekhar limit in understanding white dwarves. It is mentioned that there is a similar limit for neutron stars, known as the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit. This limit is approximately 2.17 solar masses for a non-rotating, cold neutron star. Further information is provided through various links and the participants express their gratitude for the input.
Cerenkov
Hello.

I'm very interested to find out more about the maximum masses of white dwarf stars and of neutron stars. Please note that while my level in this forum is Basic, I am familiar with the role that the Chandrasekhar limit has played in our understanding of white dwarves. I was therefore wondering if there is a similar kind of limit applied to neutron stars.
Thank you for any help given.

Cerenkov.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you for this Drakkith.

Then am I right to presume that the TOV limit will be crucial to our further understanding of this event... should it actually pan out?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/astronomers-spy-a-black-hole-devouring-a-neutron-star/https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...spotted-black-hole-and-neutron-star-colliding
Please note that I have clicked on this link too.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ht-limit-neutron-stars-densest-objects-cosmos
Thank you,

Cerenkov.

Cerenkov said:
Then am I right to presume that the TOV limit will be crucial to our further understanding of this event... should it actually pan out?

I'm not sure. I'm not familiar enough with this topic to get into any of the nitty-gritty details unfortunately.

Well, that's ok Drakkith.

I'll follow up some of the 'Related Threads' and see if they can help me further.

Thanks again for your input.

Cerenkov.

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the maximum mass of a White Dwarf?

The maximum mass of a White Dwarf is approximately 1.4 times the mass of our Sun, also known as the Chandrasekhar limit. This is because the electrons in the core of the star become degenerate and can no longer support the weight of the star, causing it to collapse into a neutron star or black hole.

2. What is the maximum mass of a Neutron Star?

The maximum mass of a Neutron Star is estimated to be around 2-3 times the mass of our Sun. This is known as the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit and is determined by the balance between the strong nuclear force and the gravitational force within the star.

3. Can a White Dwarf exceed the maximum mass?

No, a White Dwarf cannot exceed the maximum mass of 1.4 solar masses. If it were to gain more mass, it would collapse into a neutron star or black hole.

4. Can a Neutron Star exceed the maximum mass?

Yes, it is possible for a Neutron Star to exceed the maximum mass of 2-3 solar masses. When this happens, it is believed that the star will collapse into a black hole.

5. How do we determine the maximum masses of White Dwarves and Neutron Stars?

The maximum masses of White Dwarves and Neutron Stars are determined through theoretical calculations and observations of these objects in the universe. Scientists use models and equations to understand the physical processes that govern the behavior of these stars and make predictions about their maximum masses.