1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the more in-demand undergraduate courses?

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    Hello.
    Let me introduce myself first. I am the undergraduate student studying the physics and electronic and communication engineering double degree course. This course is 5 years long, and this is the middle of the second semester of the second year.
    I have been thinking of transferring to electrical power engineering, because I like more "practical" than "theoretical" knowledge. Do not get me wrong,- I really enjoy studying physics, and I absolutely adore problem solving in theoretical physics, primarily electromagnetism and classical mechanics. However, I do not think that nowadays there are many career opportunities for theoretical physics, especially in Australia, where I am currently studying. I find studying some of the engineering units a bit "boring" compared to the physics, where the person can predict something mathematically, without doing the experiment. I feel that there is a huge difference between the level of difficulty of engineering and physics.
    The reasons that I want to transfer to a pure engineering is because:
    1. It is more practical and applicable
    2. It gives me more opportunities in terms of finding a job after the graduation
    3. I do not need to do Masters and Phd degrees in order to become a professional in my field
    4. I have financial limitations, and it is difficult for me and my parent to pay for my degree (in addition, I am an international student)
    The reasons why I want to stay and complete my physics and engineering degree:
    1. I will have a strong mathematical background
    2. I will be able to do statistical analysis, computing, programming
    3. I will enjoy studying physics more than engineering
    4. I will have different career opportunities after graduation (not necessarily in-demand jobs)
    I am looking forward to know what you guys can recommend me, for I cannot make a decision. As I have mentioned before, I have big financial difficulties at the moment, and I need to finish my degree as soon as possible. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted