What are the ODDS of 2 globally-influentially surnames at same time, minus 1 letter?

• Thread starter Cryptonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation is about the coincidental timing of the names "Obama" and "Osama" in global events. The odds of this occurrence are debated, with one person arguing for a conspiracy and the other dismissing it as mere coincidence. The conversation also brings up other similar wordplay involving prominent names.
Cryptonic
Yes OF COURSE I am referring to "Obama" and "Osama". I find it incredulous that these two names pop up at this particular moment in history (ie '01-'11).

What are the odds? They are both unusual - in fact I have NEVER heard either of them before (but of course that says more about my Western culture I suppose).

Can it be mathematically "guesstimated" just how improbable it is that 2 names so close together like this pop up at exact same time in human history?

And when we look at the name "Hussein"... well surely that tips the odds into infinity?

I am not here to postulate anything, nor sprout any conspiracy theory. I am posting here in the "General Math" forum to find out if the odds can actually be calculated.

I want some SCIENCE here, not speculation. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Cryptonic said:
Yes OF COURSE I am referring to "Obama" and "Osama". I find it incredulous that these two names pop up at this particular moment in history (ie '01-'11).
You mean you find it incredible, or perhaps you are incredulous. Sorry, I'm a confirmed pedant -- I can't resist. :-)

My answer to your question would be no, the odds can't be calculated, at least not in any way that would satisfy me. There are too many parts of the question that are vague. For instance, what exactly does "globally-influential" mean? What does "at the same time" mean? That they're alive at the same time? Prominent in the news at the same time? (I would argue that Obama and Osama never met that criterion.) And then there are the add-ons you adduce as additional arguments: that Obama and Osama are uncommon names, and that Obama's middle name is Hussein. (Although I don't understand why that last one makes the thing seem any more strange to you -- Hussein is, after all, a very common name.) How are we to evaluate, not just the odds that these particular events could occur, but that there should be SOMETHING you could point to that would seem odd?

It is always possible, no matter what happens, to find something about it that seems unusual or a priori improbable. But lots and lots and lots of things occur every day, and the things that actually occur are astronomically exceeded in number by the possible unusual things that could have occurred, but didn't.

Last edited:

Cryptonic said:

Like Bush and Rush?

Putin and Palin?

Harry Reid and Ishmael Reed?

Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, George Clinton?

A schmoke and a pancake? You could find hundreds of little wordplays among prominent people. Boehner, Boxer. Feinstein and Feingold. Nancy Pelosi and Jim Fregosi.

Bearing in mind, of course, that "Osama" is one particular variation of his name. Usama is also commonly seen, especially before 9/11. His FIRST name. By that logic, you'd compare George Bush to King George. A lot of people made that comparison during the Bush administation.

Harry Byrd, Larry Bird.

Orrin Hatch, Richard Hatch, Charlie Batch.

David Boren, Charles van Doren.

Last edited:

Thanks, guys, I take your good points onboard. This topic came up in a conversation, and I was arguing (I confess) the conspiratorial angle, while my more rational frriend was insisting it was mere coincidence. Thanks for your replies, they are very reasonable.

Cryptonic said:
Thanks, guys, I take your good points onboard. This topic came up in a conversation, and I was arguing (I confess) the conspiratorial angle, while my more rational frriend was insisting it was mere coincidence. Thanks for your replies, they are very reasonable.

Christine Keeler and John Archibald Wheeler!

(ok I'll stop now)

What are the ODDS of 2 globally-influentially surnames at same time, minus 1 letter?

The odds of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter, is nearly impossible to determine as it would depend on the specific surnames being considered.

What factors influence the likelihood of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter?

The likelihood of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter, would depend on various factors such as the frequency and popularity of the surnames, their linguistic origins, and the geographic location where they are being compared.

Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the probability of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter?

There is no specific mathematical formula for calculating the probability of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter. However, probability can be calculated by considering all the relevant factors involved.

Can the odds of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter, be accurately determined?

No, the odds of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter, cannot be accurately determined as it would require extensive research and data on various factors such as population demographics, historical trends, and cultural influences.

Are there any notable examples of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter?

There may be some notable examples of 2 globally-influential surnames occurring at the same time, minus 1 letter, but they would be rare and specific to certain regions or communities. Further research would be needed to identify such examples.