What are the particle's position and velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the position and velocity of a particle after 30 seconds, given its initial velocity and a complex acceleration equation. The extra powers of t in the equation represent the units of the constants and can be ignored. To solve the problem, the acceleration must be integrated to find the velocity and position.
brad sue
I have no idea how to find a solution forthis exercice:

A particle moving with an initial velocity v=(30m/s)j undergoes an acceleration of
a=[3.5m/s2 +(0.7m/s5)t3]i+[2m/s2-(0.3m/s4)t2]j.

what are the particle's position and velocity after 30s assuming that it starts at the origin?

i am confused by the powers 4 and 5 in a . please give me some hints to answer the problem.

Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
These powers of t shows that the motion is not uniformally accelerated and so you can't use equations of motion.

integrate the acceleration to get velocity and then for position.

a_x gets quicker and quicker as time goes by ...
by t=2s, a_x = (3.5 + 5.6)m/s^2 , a_y = (2-1.2)m/s^2 .

v(t) = v_o + integral of a(t)dt ... x(t) = integral of v(t)dt
they're just powers, but I'd do j and i separately.

The extra "powers" are the correct units of the constants that are given. the constants are part of a formula that gives an acceleration, the constant is multiplied a time (in seconds) squared or cubed, so to generate the acceleration in m/s/s the constants must be defined in m/s/s/s/s and m/s/s/s/s/s. If someone wished to do this sort of thing in a different unit of time then they would have to convert the constants into the new system of units.

but as has already been stated you really don't need to worry about them.

brad sue said:
A particle moving with an initial velocity v=(30m/s)j undergoes an acceleration of
a=[3.5m/s2 +(0.7m/s5)t3]i+[2m/s2-(0.3m/s4)t2]j.
Writing the units in the equation makes it look more confusing than it is. You can rewrite it like this using standard units (distance in m; time in s; acceleration in m/s^2):
a=[3.5 + 0.7t3]i+[2 - 0.3t2]j

What is a particle's position and velocity?

A particle's position refers to its location in space, while its velocity refers to its speed and direction of movement.

How are a particle's position and velocity related?

According to classical mechanics, a particle's position and velocity are related through the equation v = dx/dt, where v is the velocity, x is the position, and t is time.

Can a particle have a constant position and changing velocity?

Yes, a particle can have a constant position and changing velocity. This means that the particle is not moving in a straight line but is instead changing direction constantly.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

While speed refers to the rate at which an object moves, velocity also takes into account the direction of movement. Therefore, two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

How can a particle's position and velocity be measured?

A particle's position and velocity can be measured using various methods such as photography, radar, and lasers. These methods allow for precise measurements of a particle's location and speed at a specific moment in time.