Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the rules with garlic

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much of it can you eat before you get surrounded by a halo of garlic odour, how much time does it take before the odour starts going through your skin, will a shower clean you enough or is it something that just needs to get out of your system?

No, noone complained yet o:), but at times I do put garlic in my diner and on bread. One time I was sitting in a tiny classroom that we barely all fit into, and all of a sudden I could smell garlic. There was a chinese person sitting next to me, so I guess it wasn't me :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It really depends on the person and how the garlic is prepared. Cooked garlic tends to be less pungent. So you can consume a lot of those before your pores start to eminate the lovely garlic ordor (I have no problem with smelling garlic). I also know of someone who would eat a clove of garlic and his breath would smell like it, whereas most people could at that without such effect.

The only time I did notice an effect was after I went to this restaurant in San Francisco called The Stinky Rose. They had a chicken there cooked with at least 10 heads of garlic. I could smell garlic coming out of my skin the next day.

BTW, when you smell that garlic incident, it could be the cooking ordor that stuck to that person's clothing, rather than something from that person itself.

Zz.

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, I knew a chinese person who would shower every morning, but would still have a garlicy odor. Using a wok causes a lot of oil to go into the air, so that would explain.

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was unable to come up with a good vampire joke..:cry:

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Q: What does one lesbian vampire say to another lesbian vampire?
    >>A: See ya same time next month.<<

I was looking for a gay vampire joke, but I guess there aren't any... :wink:
    So why are there no gay vampires??

Oh, no wonder I couldn't find any:

What do you call a gay vampire?
    The tooth fairy.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  7. Aug 23, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, found this vampiric coming-out story on the net:
    "Mom? Pop? I am bineckual"

8. Aug 23, 2005 #7

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Garlic intensity typically goes along a scale that is determined by the amount of processing of the clove that you do. Thus cooked garlic is going to be less strong than raw, since many of the odiferous compounds have been altered by heating. The amount you chop the garlic also factors in, the more you break up the cells, the more alliin is allowed to react with alliinase (alliin lyase) to form allicin, a sulfur containing compound that gives garlic that smell (allicin.com). The allicin is oxidized fairly rapidly into numerous other potent sulfur compounds, so fresh garlic, finely minced and used immediately will probably be the strongest. You may be able to prolong the allicin by adding oil to reduce oxygen exposure, add a little crusty bread and you're all set.

9. Aug 23, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't there some metabolic disorder that leave people with a garlic smell that's unrelated to eating garlic? I seem to recall hearing something about that somewhere, but I'd need to look that up to verify it.

I think when people eat enough garlic for it to alter the scent of their body, it's not really a strong garlic smell that you notice (unless it's on their breath; I know an optometrist who won't eat anything with garlic Sunday through Thursday so she doesn't have garlic breath Monday through Friday when she's working close to the faces of her patients). Then again, I'm a garlic lover myself, so when I had a boyfriend who was Italian and had a LOT of garlic in his diet (he ate even more garlic than I do, and I love my garlic), I thought he smelled great!

Though when I made that hummus last week that had lots of raw garlic in it (a bit too much), everything smelled like garlic...I could smell it as soon as I walked past my kitchen, so the possibility that the garlic smell is really on your clothes and not being exuded by your body sounds pretty plausible there.

10. Aug 23, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Since you can't eat garlic while sitting on the toilet, you'll reach a natural equilibrium. :biggrin:

11. Aug 23, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose you could do that, but...:yuck:

12. Aug 23, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:confused:
    I can eat carrot while sitting on the toilet, can't I?
    Why can't I eat garlic there?

13. Aug 23, 2005 #12
    Moonbear its called Trimethylaminuria or Fish Malodor Syndrome. They can't process choline, there body smells can range from garlic to just plain rotten.
    Selenium toxicity also creates a garlic smell in humans.

14. Aug 23, 2005 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do I contract this if I eat garlic on the toilet?

15. Aug 23, 2005 #14
    lmao, its genetic, but I wouldn't push my luck. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?