What are the rules with garlic

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, if you plan on consuming a lot of garlic, it will take a while before the garlic odour starts going through your skin. It is possible to take a shower to try to get the garlic smell off of you, but it is not a 100% effective.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How much of it can you eat before you get surrounded by a halo of garlic odour, how much time does it take before the odour starts going through your skin, will a shower clean you enough or is it something that just needs to get out of your system?

No, no one complained yet o:), but at times I do put garlic in my diner and on bread. One time I was sitting in a tiny classroom that we barely all fit into, and all of a sudden I could smell garlic. There was a chinese person sitting next to me, so I guess it wasn't me :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
How much of it can you eat before you get surrounded by a halo of garlic odour, how much time does it take before the odour starts going through your skin, will a shower clean you enough or is it something that just needs to get out of your system?

It really depends on the person and how the garlic is prepared. Cooked garlic tends to be less pungent. So you can consume a lot of those before your pores start to eminate the lovely garlic ordor (I have no problem with smelling garlic). I also know of someone who would eat a clove of garlic and his breath would smell like it, whereas most people could at that without such effect.

The only time I did notice an effect was after I went to this restaurant in San Francisco called The Stinky Rose. They had a chicken there cooked with at least 10 heads of garlic. I could smell garlic coming out of my skin the next day.

BTW, when you smell that garlic incident, it could be the cooking ordor that stuck to that person's clothing, rather than something from that person itself.

Zz.

BTW, when you smell that garlic incident, it could be the cooking ordor that stuck to that person's clothing, rather than something from that person itself.
You're right, I knew a chinese person who would shower every morning, but would still have a garlicy odor. Using a wok causes a lot of oil to go into the air, so that would explain.

I was unable to come up with a good vampire joke..:cry:

arildno said:
I was unable to come up with a good vampire joke..:cry:
Q: What does one lesbian vampire say to another lesbian vampire?
>>A: See you same time next month.<<

I was looking for a gay vampire joke, but I guess there aren't any... :wink:
So why are there no gay vampires??

Oh, no wonder I couldn't find any:

What do you call a gay vampire?
The tooth fairy.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, found this vampiric coming-out story on the net:
"Mom? Pop? I am bineckual"

Garlic intensity typically goes along a scale that is determined by the amount of processing of the clove that you do. Thus cooked garlic is going to be less strong than raw, since many of the odiferous compounds have been altered by heating. The amount you chop the garlic also factors in, the more you break up the cells, the more alliin is allowed to react with alliinase (alliin lyase) to form allicin, a sulfur containing compound that gives garlic that smell (http://www.allicin.com/). The allicin is oxidized fairly rapidly into numerous other potent sulfur compounds, so fresh garlic, finely minced and used immediately will probably be the strongest. You may be able to prolong the allicin by adding oil to reduce oxygen exposure, add a little crusty bread and you're all set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there some metabolic disorder that leave people with a garlic smell that's unrelated to eating garlic? I seem to recall hearing something about that somewhere, but I'd need to look that up to verify it.

I think when people eat enough garlic for it to alter the scent of their body, it's not really a strong garlic smell that you notice (unless it's on their breath; I know an optometrist who won't eat anything with garlic Sunday through Thursday so she doesn't have garlic breath Monday through Friday when she's working close to the faces of her patients). Then again, I'm a garlic lover myself, so when I had a boyfriend who was Italian and had a LOT of garlic in his diet (he ate even more garlic than I do, and I love my garlic), I thought he smelled great!

Though when I made that hummus last week that had lots of raw garlic in it (a bit too much), everything smelled like garlic...I could smell it as soon as I walked past my kitchen, so the possibility that the garlic smell is really on your clothes and not being exuded by your body sounds pretty plausible there.

Since you can't eat garlic while sitting on the toilet, you'll reach a natural equilibrium. :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
Since you can't eat garlic while sitting on the toilet, you'll reach a natural equilibrium. :biggrin:
I suppose you could do that, but...:yuck:

russ_watters said:
:confused:
I can eat carrot while sitting on the toilet, can't I?
Why can't I eat garlic there?

Moonbear its called Trimethylaminuria or Fish Malodor Syndrome. They can't process choline, there body smells can range from garlic to just plain rotten.
Selenium toxicity also creates a garlic smell in humans.

hypatia said:
Moonbear its called Trimethylaminuria or Fish Malodor Syndrome. They can't process choline, there body smells can range from garlic to just plain rotten.
Selenium toxicity also creates a garlic smell in humans.
Do I contract this if I eat garlic on the toilet?

lmao, its genetic, but I wouldn't push my luck. :rofl:

What are the basic rules for using garlic?

The basic rule for using garlic is to always start with fresh garlic cloves and to peel and mince them properly before using them in a recipe. Additionally, it is important to not overcook garlic as it can quickly burn and become bitter.

Can you eat raw garlic?

Yes, raw garlic can be eaten but it is recommended to use it in small quantities as it can be very pungent and overpowering. It is also important to note that raw garlic can cause stomach discomfort in some individuals.

Should garlic be stored in the fridge?

No, garlic should not be stored in the fridge as it can cause it to sprout and lose its flavor. It is best to store garlic in a cool, dry place with good air circulation, such as a pantry or countertop.

How long does garlic last?

When stored properly, garlic can last for several months. However, once a garlic clove is broken, it will only last for a few days. It is best to use fresh garlic within a week of purchasing it.

What are some common dishes that use garlic?

Garlic is a popular ingredient in many cuisines around the world. Some common dishes that use garlic include garlic bread, pasta dishes, stir-fries, soups, and sauces. It is also commonly used as a seasoning in marinades and rubs for meat and vegetables.