Rules for Posting in Forums: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter MacCrimmon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a user who was banned from another thread for expressing their personal theories and questioning the rules of the forum. The moderators explained the global guidelines and how the warning point system works. They also discussed the importance of peer-reviewed publications and the evolving nature of scientific consensus. The user also expressed interest in changing their username to avoid confusion.
MacCrimmon
<Moderators note: moved from a different thread on an unrelated topic>

I don't mean to crash your thread but I was banned from another thread for expressing either what I do understand or I don't understand as "personal theory". I was given 3 warning points. And I don't know the rules for this and the next I was banned. Can someone please explain these rules. Did I express a heretical "opinion"? I found this forum related to a scientist that claimed time is an illusion. That sounds more personally speculative than any of my understanding of time. And in practice 100% of all scientists agree with me in their practical lives. Again please explain the rules and what limitations exist in the threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Time Mentor said:
I was banned

If you were banned, you wouldn't be able to post this.

Time Mentor said:
100% of all scientists agree with me

I read that message before it was moved out of view, and can assure you that is not true.

Likes Dale
Time Mentor said:
That sounds more personally speculative than any of my understanding of time.
What sounds speculative is not the scale. The reference is the scientific literature. Generally this means peer-reviewed publications, although sometimes publications are accepted before peer review. But things like "I just thought of this" or "I saw this in a Youtube video and I'll accept it as fact now" never work.
Time Mentor said:
And in practice 100% of all scientists agree with me in their practical lives.
With Vanadium 50 and me you already have two counterexamples in this thread.

@V50: This forum has thread bans.

mfb said:
This forum has thread bans

Then he should have said that. :wink:

What is the warning point system and who decides? And "peer review" seems to change. So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?

Time Mentor said:
What is the warning point system and who decides?
The mentors (forum moderators) decide. Usually by consensus although in obvious cases an action can be done by one.

Time Mentor said:
And "peer review" seems to change. So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?
The standard used on this forum is the modern professional scientific literature. This includes peer reviewed papers as well as standard textbooks and the standard publication venues for specific sub-disciplines. Other sources are permitted provided that they are consistent with the above.

As far as “seems to change” goes, that is correct and it is why we specify “modern” in the description. As scientific advancement proceeds there is initially a large diversity of opinion and all are welcome. As the field matures the results drive a consensus which becomes the standard. That standard is continually changing as more data is obtained. That is as intended.

Likes MacCrimmon
Time Mentor said:
And "peer review" seems to change.
Not really. Has been largely the same for decades. We send emails instead of physical letters now, that's the largest change.
Time Mentor said:
So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?
His CCC is a proposed model that can be discussed in the forum. Here is a thread about it, for example. It's an exotic model that is largely expected to be wrong, but it is being discussed seriously by cosmologists so we can discuss it here, too.
That has no impact on other discussions about the Big Bang (the vastly favored model).

Thank you.
Dale said:
A complete description of the rules is available here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

If you have any questions about them we are glad to explain.

FYI, we usually don’t discuss specific individual cases in public, but we can certainly talk about the rules in general.
I thank you and apologize. I am still getting used to the sites features too. And when I logged in as Mentor it was only accidental that it had the same name as the moderators. I am a layman with some good ideas. And I am good in math, have studied some physics statistics, calculus and Bolian logic besides some chemistry, microbiology, radiation science and some other stuff. But it may help if I could change my username to something more layman like so that the moderators and other participants do not mistake my lack of understanding with new ideas not yet considered. How do I change my username and is there also a tutorial that can help me not push other wrong buttons on this site. I do believe I may have something useful to contribute to the forum. And I know that I have pertinent questions. Like - If the universe started out as a finite amount of mass and energy the "size of a pea" then expanded why is there so much diversity in the universe and doesn't the microwave background radiation studies imply that even the expansion is nonuniform? Please be patient with me. I'll catch up.

Likes Dale and berkeman
Nice reply, thank you. Just send me a PM (private message -- click on my avatar and Start a Conversation) and let me know what new username you would like. Be sure to do a forum search to see if your new username is already taken. :smile:

Time Mentor said:
.. I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory ...
Yes, but he was talking about exploding cherries and nobody likes those.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
Time Mentor said:
Please be patient with me. I'll catch up.

Glad that you are here and curious about science- it’s actually quite rare in this world.

It always makes me happy to see that and I absolutely encourage you to continue learning and exploring. We need people that can help make differences in the world and your eagerness/curiosity about the truth is refreshing. We are all always starting off on the wrong line and behind in regards to something in life. It’s forgivable (well, maybe not here).

I walk on one leg in this place myself. They point me on technicalities and the petty, when my intent is to sometimes help and but I mainly learn from their posts (and one time got pointed for a meme with a curse word when my intention was to make other members laugh). You just never know when one of them will decide to ban you (or me) from this place. They use discretion (other mentors curse all the time but probably don’t get pointed like I did). Don’t take it personally if they do!

Thanks. What do you think about the holes in universe idea? It is important to basics like statistics if one accepts there may be coordinates that can be only theoretical but in the real universe ABSOLUTELY nonexistent. It would limit probabilities, possibly contribute to WHY there are LAWS of nature and other stuff.

Time Mentor said:
Thanks. What do you think about the holes in universe idea? It is important to basics like statistics if one accepts there may be coordinates that can be only theoretical but in the real universe ABSOLUTELY nonexistent. It would limit probabilities, possibly contribute to WHY there are LAWS of nature and other stuff.

See, now I’m going to get into trouble. And you, too! 🤣🤣

Time Mentor said:

How old are you? Have you taken basic astronomy yet?

Take some courses and read some textbooks. You have to do the hard work yourself to find some understanding first!

Likes berkeman
Time Mentor said:

My 6th grade teacher had me paddled for arguing with him about black holes. I demanded proof and he went berserk on me.

Fervent Freyja said:
My 6th grade teacher had me paddled for arguing with him about black holes. I demanded proof and he went berserk on me.
(note: this post phrased to avoid a 'banned' topic. :wink: :wink: )

Obviously not a 'Science Based' educator. (and probably not a government employee at that)

I know. I’m just pointing out that you can get pointed for pretty much anything. They could point me in this thread for changing the topic.

Yep, my science/math teacher. It was a county school. It was traumatizing.

What are the rules for posting in forums?

The rules for posting in forums vary depending on the specific forum, but some common rules include: staying on topic, being respectful to others, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and following any specific guidelines set by the forum moderators.

Why is it important to follow rules when posting in forums?

Following rules when posting in forums helps maintain a positive and productive community for all users. It also ensures that discussions stay on topic and that everyone's voices are heard in a respectful manner.

Can I post anything I want in forums?

No, it is important to follow the specific rules and guidelines set by the forum moderators. Posting inappropriate or irrelevant content may result in your post being removed or your account being banned.

How can I avoid breaking the rules when posting in forums?

One way to avoid breaking the rules is to read and understand them before posting. You can also observe how other users are posting and follow their lead. If you are unsure about a certain rule, you can always ask a moderator for clarification.

What should I do if I see someone breaking the rules in a forum?

If you see someone breaking the rules in a forum, you can report their post or contact a moderator. It is important to handle the situation calmly and respectfully, as well as provide evidence or specific examples of the rule being broken.