What are the rules?

• Thread starter MacCrimmon
  • Start date
<Moderators note: moved from a different thread on an unrelated topic>

I don't mean to crash your thread but I was banned from another thread for expressing either what I do understand or I don't understand as "personal theory". I was given 3 warning points. And I don't know the rules for this and the next I was banned. Can someone please explain these rules. Did I express a heretical "opinion"? I found this forum related to a scientist that claimed time is an illusion. That sounds more personally speculative than any of my understanding of time. And in practice 100% of all scientists agree with me in their practical lives. Again please explain the rules and what limitations exist in the threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I was banned
If you were banned, you wouldn't be able to post this.

100% of all scientists agree with me
I read that message before it was moved out of view, and can assure you that is not true.

Likes Dale
That sounds more personally speculative than any of my understanding of time.
What sounds speculative is not the scale. The reference is the scientific literature. Generally this means peer-reviewed publications, although sometimes publications are accepted before peer review. But things like "I just thought of this" or "I saw this in a Youtube video and I'll accept it as fact now" never work.
And in practice 100% of all scientists agree with me in their practical lives.
With Vanadium 50 and me you already have two counterexamples in this thread.

@V50: This forum has thread bans.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
This forum has thread bans
Then he should have said that. :wink:

What is the warning point system and who decides? And "peer review" seems to change. So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?

What is the warning point system and who decides?
The mentors (forum moderators) decide. Usually by consensus although in obvious cases an action can be done by one.

And "peer review" seems to change. So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?
The standard used on this forum is the modern professional scientific literature. This includes peer reviewed papers as well as standard textbooks and the standard publication venues for specific sub-disciplines. Other sources are permitted provided that they are consistent with the above.

As far as “seems to change” goes, that is correct and it is why we specify “modern” in the description. As scientific advancement proceeds there is initially a large diversity of opinion and all are welcome. As the field matures the results drive a consensus which becomes the standard. That standard is continually changing as more data is obtained. That is as intended.

Likes MacCrimmon
And "peer review" seems to change.
Not really. Has been largely the same for decades. We send emails instead of physical letters now, that's the largest change.
So for evidence of that I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory as the ultimate beginning while accepting his Nobel Prize. Is the Bing Bang Theory now passe that it has been reviewed by a peer?
His CCC is a proposed model that can be discussed in the forum. Here is a thread about it, for example. It's an exotic model that is largely expected to be wrong, but it is being discussed seriously by cosmologists so we can discuss it here, too.
That has no impact on other discussions about the Big Bang (the vastly favored model).

Thank you.
A complete description of the rules is available here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

If you have any questions about them we are glad to explain.

FYI, we usually don’t discuss specific individual cases in public, but we can certainly talk about the rules in general.
I thank you and apologize. I am still getting used to the sites features too. And when I logged in as Mentor it was only accidental that it had the same name as the moderators. I am a layman with some good ideas. And I am good in math, have studied some physics statistics, calculus and Bolian logic besides some chemistry, microbiology, radiation science and some other stuff. But it may help if I could change my username to something more layman like so that the moderators and other participants do not mistake my lack of understanding with new ideas not yet considered. How do I change my username and is there also a tutorial that can help me not push other wrong buttons on this site. I do believe I may have something useful to contribute to the forum. And I know that I have pertinent questions. Like - If the universe started out as a finite amount of mass and energy the "size of a pea" then expanded why is there so much diversity in the universe and doesn't the microwave background radiation studies imply that even the expansion is nonuniform? Please be patient with me. I'll catch up.

Likes Dale and berkeman
berkeman
Mentor
Nice reply, thank you. Just send me a PM (private message -- click on my avatar and Start a Conversation) and let me know what new username you would like. Be sure to do a forum search to see if your new username is already taken. :smile:

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
.. I read that Roger Penrose challenged the Bing Bang Theory ...
Yes, but he was talking about exploding cherries and nobody likes those.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Please be patient with me. I'll catch up.
Glad that you are here and curious about science- it’s actually quite rare in this world.

It always makes me happy to see that and I absolutely encourage you to continue learning and exploring. We need people that can help make differences in the world and your eagerness/curiosity about the truth is refreshing. We are all always starting off on the wrong line and behind in regards to something in life. It’s forgivable (well, maybe not here).

I walk on one leg in this place myself. They point me on technicalities and the petty, when my intent is to sometimes help and but I mainly learn from their posts (and one time got pointed for a meme with a curse word when my intention was to make other members laugh). You just never know when one of them will decide to ban you (or me) from this place. They use discretion (other mentors curse all the time but probably don’t get pointed like I did). Don’t take it personally if they do!

Thanks. What do you think about the holes in universe idea? It is important to basics like statistics if one accepts there may be coordinates that can be only theoretical but in the real universe ABSOLUTELY nonexistent. It would limit probabilities, possibly contribute to WHY there are LAWS of nature and other stuff.

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Thanks. What do you think about the holes in universe idea? It is important to basics like statistics if one accepts there may be coordinates that can be only theoretical but in the real universe ABSOLUTELY nonexistent. It would limit probabilities, possibly contribute to WHY there are LAWS of nature and other stuff.
See, now I’m gonna get into trouble. And you, too! 🤣🤣

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
How old are you? Have you taken basic astronomy yet?

Take some courses and read some textbooks. You have to do the hard work yourself to find some understanding first!

Likes berkeman
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
My 6th grade teacher had me paddled for arguing with him about black holes. I demanded proof and he went berserk on me.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
My 6th grade teacher had me paddled for arguing with him about black holes. I demanded proof and he went berserk on me.
(note: this post phrased to avoid a 'banned' topic. :wink: :wink: )

Obviously not a 'Science Based' educator. (and probably not a government employee at that)

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
I know. I’m just pointing out that you can get pointed for pretty much anything. They could point me in this thread for changing the topic.

Yep, my science/math teacher. It was a county school. It was traumatizing.