What are the steps for calculating the center of mass of this object?

In summary: Otherwise, the object would be attracted to the point and its own center of mass would change!In summary, the steps to calculating the center of mass for this object are to calculate the mass of the object, find the distance from the object to its mass center, and subtract that distance from the object's total mass.
Pochen Liu
Homework Statement
Centre of mass of a sphere with a spherical hole
Relevant Equations
N/A
What are the steps to calculating the center of mass for this object? I don't want a numerical answer just the theory.

I understand I need to calculate COM for all axis, we know in the Y axis it's dead centre because of symmetry but I don't know how to do it for the others.

A hint would be most helpful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pochen Liu said:
Problem Statement: Centre of mass of a sphere with a spherical hole
Relevant Equations: N/A

What are the steps to calculating the center of mass for this object? I don't want a numerical answer just the theory.

I understand I need to calculate COM for all axis, we know in the Y axis it's dead centre because of symmetry but I don't know how to do it for the others.

A hint would be most helpful :)

View attachment 243664
I don't think you actually need to find the COM to solve this problem.

What would the gravitational attraction be if the larger sphere (R = 4 cm) was completely solid, and had no hollow part?

What would the gravitational attraction be if instead of the hollow part there was a solid lead sphere (R = 2 cm) in the location where the hollow part would be, and the larger sphere (R = 4cm) didn't exist? (In other words, there's only a single R = 2 cm sphere, made of solid lead, in the location where the location where the hollowed out part would have been.) [Edit: well, I mean of course the small m = 0.431 kg sphere shown in yellow is still there. I just mean that the bulk of the larger, R = 2 cm sphere doesn't exist, and is instead replaced by a lead sphere where the hollow part would have been.]

What's the difference between these two forces? 😉

Last edited:
Likes Pochen Liu
collinsmark said:

What would the gravitational attraction be if the larger sphere (R = 4 cm) was completely solid, and had no hollow part?

What would the gravitational attraction be if instead of the hollow part there was a solid lead sphere (R = 2 cm) in the location where the hollow part would be, and the larger sphere (R = 4cm) didn't exist? (In other words, there's only a single R = 2 cm sphere, made of solid lead, in the location where the location where the hollowed out part would have been.) [Edit: well, I mean of course the small m = 0.431 kg sphere shown in yellow is still there. I just mean that the bulk of the larger, R = 2 cm sphere doesn't exist, and is instead replaced by a lead sphere where the hollow part would have been.]

What's the difference between these two forces? 😉
I see, so how would you put this formally?

I understand that it's the force of gravity from its mass, but why does this work?

It's basically just superposition.

Sphere with hollow section + mass where hollow section would be = solid sphere

Similarly,

Force from sphere with hollow section + force from mass where hollow section would be
= force from solid sphere.

Applying algebra,

Force from sphere with hollow section
= force from solid sphere - force from mass where hollow section would be

Likes SammyS and Pochen Liu

If you have any question, please let me know.

Hello @Samanko,

Welcome to Pysics Forums!

Please note for the future that it is against Forum rules to post complete or near-complete solutions to homework problems before the Original Poster has arrived at a correct solution to the problem and any related questions they have by their own efforts. Helpers can only provide guidance via hints and suggestions or pointing out errors in the OP's attempts.

Check out the pinned thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Likes Samanko
gneill said:
Hello @Samanko,

Welcome to Pysics Forums!

Please note for the future that it is against Forum rules to post complete or near-complete solutions to homework problems before the Original Poster has arrived at a correct solution to the problem and any related questions they have by their own efforts. Helpers can only provide guidance via hints and suggestions or pointing out errors in the OP's attempts.

Check out the pinned thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
Yes
I'll be careful in the future.

Likes gneill
collinsmark said:
.. and it wouldn’t help anyway.
@Pochen Liu , you cannot in general find the gravitational attraction to an object at a point merely by knowing its mass and the distance from the point to its mass centre. That only works for spheres that are either uniformly dense or consist of concentric uniform shells; and the point must be outside.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the mass of the object is evenly distributed, meaning that the object would balance at this point if suspended.

2. Why is it important to calculate the center of mass of an object?

Calculating the center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of the object. It is also a crucial step in analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

3. What are the steps for calculating the center of mass of an object?

The steps for calculating the center of mass of an object are:

• 1. Identify the individual masses of each component of the object.
  • 2. Determine the x and y coordinates of each component's center of mass.
  • 3. Multiply each component's mass by its respective x coordinate and then add all of these values together.
  • 4. Repeat the previous step for the y coordinates.
  • 5. Divide the total x and y coordinate values by the total mass of the object to find the coordinates of the center of mass.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of the object. This is possible when the object has an asymmetrical shape or when there are variations in the distribution of mass within the object.

5. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The location of the center of mass affects an object's stability because it determines how the object will respond to external forces. If the center of mass is located above the base of support, the object will be stable and less likely to tip over. If the center of mass is located outside of the base of support, the object will be less stable and more likely to tip over.